We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best pizza in downtown Philadelphia area

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
118 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Best pizza in downtown Philadelphia area

We will be staying near Logan Square and wanted to try some excellent wood-fired pizza that is not too far away to walk to or get to by cab. We have been considering Osteria, Pizzeria Vetri, and Nomad Pizza Company. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best pizza in downtown Philadelphia area

Are you looking for a more gourmet offering or straight delivery style pizza? Osteria and Vetri are both excellent, but definitely to the gourmet side. Not familiar with the other.

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
118 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best pizza in downtown Philadelphia area

Thanks for the reply. This will be for dining at the restaurant. I usually order Pizza Margherita with fresh mushrooms. So gourmet pizza is not critical. But I am a fan of rich tomato sauce and good chewy crust with a wood-fired taste.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best pizza in downtown Philadelphia area

Nomad is my favorite. Excellent Naples-style pizza. I'd give a slight edge to the one on South Street over their roman-style one on Locust. Pizzeria Vetri is terrific too. None take reservations, though Nomad is on the NoWait app if you have that on a smartphone - and in general is less crowded than Vetri.

I like the pizza at Osteria, but I don't think of it as the sort of restaurant where people go in and just order a pizza. It's a lot more upscale.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best pizza in downtown Philadelphia area

It's not wood fired (coal fired), but I would put Pietro's on your list to be considered:

http://www.pietrospizza.com/

Pete's has good pizza but is pan style.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best pizza in downtown Philadelphia area

I agree that Pietro's is good.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best pizza in downtown Philadelphia area

Mama Palma's, 23 & Spruce. Great wood fired brick oven pizza

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
736 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best pizza in downtown Philadelphia area

Closest to your hotel is Pizzeria Vetri which I really like. I have also heard great things about Nomad on Locust but personally haven't been there yet. My other 13th St rec would be Barbuzzo which takes reservations. Phila is a very compact city so reaching any of these destinations would be easy by foot or cab. A little off-the beaten path but great pizza - Bufad.

Also FYI - Some of these places are BYOB, others have beer, wine or full service bars

Here's a recent comprehensive listing by neighborhood:

uwishunu.com/2014/…

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
118 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best pizza in downtown Philadelphia area

Thanks for all of the great advice!

9. Re: Best pizza in downtown Philadelphia area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:16