We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways bought by american airlines

London
7 posts
Save Topic
US Airways bought by american airlines

Good afternoon.

So US Airways has been bought by american airlines, which is part of the one world alliance. So now, them and BA have the whole monopoly on flights from London to Philadelphia and the cost of flights has soared by £200 in the past 2 weeks.

Is this even fair?

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Airways bought by american airlines

If it is as described, no it is not fair.

However, are you sure that you are comparing "apples to apples?" Fares fluctuate by season and also tend to be less expensive if booked a month or more in advance, a lot more expensive if booked within a couple of weeks of flight time.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US Airways bought by american airlines

I have to presume the question about fairness is rhetorical, but yes, when the market consolidates, the airlines have the upper hand in raising prices. If you're looking for better fares, either connecting flights to PHL or flights to EWR (not the most convenient for Philadelphia but not too bad either) will likely give you lower fares.

London
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: US Airways bought by american airlines

Oh i know. but if you look at the spectrum of all flights on the BA website with the cheap fare finder, flights all throughout the year have gone up to £700 when 3 weeks ago they were £500. The flight i am after is not till the end of sept, not in school holidays nor in peak season.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Airways bought by american airlines

I'm sure the merger is a factor but there are some other issues involved as well including slot reassignment at various airports which changed the overall number of flights between Europe and the US.

I don't think the switch was related to the oneworld alliance so much as it was that with Amer and US merged there are now less seats overall, as they cut one overlapping flight they both were doing.

All airlines use a yield management system, a proprietary algorithm that analyses literally hundreds of factors to determine the maximum price they can get for a given seat. These are adjust daily. If BA raised the price of their seats, its because they think they can get those prices, if they cannot, they will drop.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27,758 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Airways bought by american airlines

US Airways and American were always expensive anyway. In reality all US Carriers from the U.S going to Europe was more expensive than European Carriers.

6. Re: US Airways bought by american airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Philadelphia