We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Philly

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in Philly

My wife and I are going to be spending an upcoming weekend in Philly. We are staying near Rittenhouse Square and are looking for suggestions for a casual place for dinner (meaning a place we don't have to make a reservation in advance as we want some spontaneity), drinks etc. Good food is important! We arrive on Friday afternoon and that day is completely open. We have tickets for the Barnes Foundation on Saturday afternoon and dinner reservations on saturday night. However, we would like to spend some time in a neighborhood where we can walk around, find places for drinks, dinner, browse some shops etc. Someone suggested Washington Square West which seems like a fun area to explore. Any suggestions or ideas welcome. We are not looking to do the historic stuff on this weekend trip, we will save that for another trip with the kids. This weekend trip is more for adult fun.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 03:50
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Philly

>>However, we would like to spend some time in a neighborhood where we can walk around, find places for drinks, dinner, browse some shops etc.<<

This describes Rittenhouse Square. Are you looking for a different neighborhood?

For dinner recommendations, it would probably help the restaurant experts if you told us you budget and what types of food you like.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Philly

I should have been more specific. Yes, I was referring to a different neighborhood than Rittenhouse Square since we are staying in that area, I know we will explore it. I was thinking of a nearby area that we could also explore.

Regarding restaurants, since we have reservations for Saturday night at a place near Rittenhouse Square we want to leave Friday open to see what we feel like when we are there. So, I guess specific restaurants while helpful are not necessary. Ideas of streets to wander and areas to explore where we will find a lot of restaurant choices would be helpful. We like all cuisines but atmosphere is probably more important. We would like a place with a fun Friday night vibe, good drinks, not terribly loud or young (we are in our 40's). I assume we will be paying at least $100 for a meal and drinks (for two people) but don't want to go over $200. Of course we are happy to spend less as well if there are any good suggestions. If Rittenhouse Square is the best area for what I am seeking, that is great but if there is also another area nearby we are open to that as well.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 04:29
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
591 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Philly

In the Washington Sq West area you might like Amis, Garces Trading Company, Indeblue or El Petruce. All have full service dinner available at the bars.

13th Street between Chestnut and Locust Sts. is filled with restaurant choices as well as some nice shopping.

Another neighborhood you might consider is East Passyunk Avenue, a short cab ride away from Rittenhouse Sq in South Philly & filled with lots of bar, cafes, restaurants and shopping.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 21:29
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Philly

I like Pookala's suggestions. I would note, that if you want to eat dinner at a table, rather than at the bar, you may be disappointed on a Friday night without a reservation. However, it helps that you are coming in the summertime, when restaurants are less busy due to people going to the Jersey shore for the weekend.

Another idea to throw out there could be dinner in Chinatown.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Philly

Great suggestions, thanks! We don't mind not having a table for Friday night. Eating at the bar is fine. Since we live in NYC and go to Chinatown here (Manhattan and Queens) often, I think we will skip it in Philly unless it is really worth it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
591 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Philly

If you decide to go to EPA:

http://visiteastpassyunk.com/index.html

I particularly like Noord, which is a byo. The owners are charming & the food is excellent. Bottles of beer/cider are available at the The Bottle Shop, a few blocks away.

https://www.bottleshopbeer.com/

A new restaurant which opened about a month ago is Townsend & they have a full bar with wonderful cocktails & a nice wine list.

After dinner there's some prime people watching at the fountain located at Tasker St & Passyunk Ave.

7. Re: Weekend in Philly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 06:16