We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

a group of 6 (4 adults and 2 infants under 2 yrs old) are going to Philadelphia for the first time. We are staying for 5 days at the end of June.

Could anyone recommend some good clean hotels in the downtown (Rittenhouse Square or Old City areas). Our budget is roughly $180/night.

We plan on getting the City Pass (Franklin Institute, Touch Museum, Adventure Aquarium, Philadelphia Zoo), as well as do some shopping at Mall of Prussia and the outlets outside of Philly. Walking distance to some of these along with some good restaurants would be helpful although not necessary.

Are we better to get around with our own vehicle or is this city impossible to drive around due to traffic and we're better off with public transit?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

Don't do a car. Parking will be expensive and it's a very walkable city. How many rooms do you want for the $180 per night. And if its two rooms is that collectively or 180 per room? Last question, food preferences, diet restrictions if any & I'm assuming you are looking for casual spots.

Here's another spot you might be interested in:

historicphiladelphia.org/franklin-square/…

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

You will definitely want a car for the trip to King of Prussia Mall. You might also find it easier to drive to the Please Touch Museum and the Zoo, which are both outside the central area. For the Aquarium, you could consider taking the ferry if it is a nice day. The Franklin Institute is located in Center City and could be walkable depending upon where you stay. You might consider the Embassy Suites which is close to the Franklin Institute, and also nearby are two places your little ones might enjoy- the Academy of Natural Sciences and Sister Cities Park. For getting around, you can also consider the Phlash tourist bus. Here is the FAQ on how to get around the city. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-s302/Philadelp…

also here is the hotel FAQ tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-c116523/Philad…

Edited: 03 June 2014, 21:04
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

Hotel rates vary by the night. What are your exact dates?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

we're actually driving down from Toronto and just wondering if it's better to drive from one place to the other or is traffic bad enough that we're better doing public transit.

in terms of budget.........$180 per room per night is fine. Food there are no restrictions, just looking for good casual spots.

thanks for responding!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

thank you this is great! I didn't even think about the ferry!

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

we're arriving Thursday and leaving the following Tuesday..........so 5 days at the end of June.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

Looking on Kayak for June 26-July 1 (I assume that's what you mean by "the end of June"), I see the Embassy Suites on the Ben Franklin Parkway for $133 per room per night plus tax and the Sonesta for $163. The Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District is $127 on Wyndham's Web site. Taxes add 15.2%.

I've been in the Sonesta's rooms and would have no problem staying there. I don't have any experience with the Embassy Suites or the Wyndham, but they seem to be well-regarded on the forum. The Embassy Suites would be convenient to the Franklin Institute (though I think that's better for kids older than yours).

Edited: 04 June 2014, 02:18
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

the traffic here is not bad at all...it can get congested during rush hour but the rest of the times you should have no problem. With kids that little I really think having the car is a good idea because you are not at the mercy of bus schedules. For instance, when they are "done" with the zoo and cranky you wont have to wait a half hour in the heat for the bus. You can just jump in your car and leave whenever.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

Consider a visit to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It's world class and surprisingly baby-friendly, and has a very good cafeteria. It sits at the edge of Fairmount Park, beautiful for strolling.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Philly with infants (hotel help)

The downside to having a car will be the cost of parking, which will be $40 per day at most hotels, so factor that in your budget. You can save some money by parking at non-hotel garages, but they charge each time you exit, the hotels usually allow in/out.

For KOP you will probably need the car, especially with infants. Same for please touch. For the Zoo, Phlash will work fine, since you will have passes. Parking at the zoo is $15 for non-members. If you end up not getting the philly pass, just buy a zoo membership. It will work out a little less than 4 tickets plus parking, and you get discounts in the gift shop.