We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

My husband and I are planning to take our first train trip in July with Philadelphia as our destination. We will also be first time visitors to Philadelphia. We like to walk, but we are in our 60s, so we want to make sure our hotel is in a good location to enjoy the city during a 6 night stay. Right now, based on reviews and availability, we are considering the Hilton Inn at Penn, Hotel Monaco, Hotel Palomar, and Sofitel Philadelphia. We will be arriving at 30th St Station on a Saturday around 7 PM after a 10 1/2 hour train ride, so we are also concerned about transportation from the station and finding a good place to eat that night. Any advice is welcomed, including recommendations for other places to stay!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,835 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

Geez, you make it sound like you're old. :)

I wouldn't choose Hilton at Penn mainly due to it not being terribly convenient. Any of the other hotels you mentioned will be fine choices. Don't worry about transportation from 30th Street Station. Taxis are usually plentiful (there is a covered cab stand at the station), and all of the hotels are a short cab ride away (less than 10 minutes).

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

I agree with Owlyn. Assuming you're coming for the typical tourist attractions, the Inn at Penn isn't as convenient as the other hotels you named. It's very close to public transportation, and it's certainly a location that could work if, say, the hotels in Center City didn't have availability, but staying in Center City would be more convenient.

The other hotels you named are all in Center City, which would allow you to walk to at least some of the places you'll want to go. The Monaco is in the Old City neighborhood and is very convenient to the historic attractions. Old City is also known for nightlife/bars.

The Sofitel and the Palomar are in the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood, which is closer to the museums. The neighborhood has plenty of shops and restaurants.

Old City and Rittenhouse Square are both good, convenient locations for visitors. The question is which area appeals to you more based on your interests and tastes.

I also agree with Owlyn about taking a cab to your hotel from 30th Street. You could take public transportation, but a cab will be easiest, and it won't be very expensive, especially if you choose the Sofitel or the Monaco.

For restaurant recommendations, you should tell us whet you decide to stay, what type of food you want to eat, and how much you want to spend per person before drinks, taxes, and tip.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 22:41
Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

Owlyn and Lauren,

Thank you for your thoughtful and speedy replies. We were considering the Inn at Penn location because we are both academics and thought that we might find the campus area interesting and quieter than the more "touristy" locations. However, we certainly want to visit the traditional sights as well. From your descriptions, the Rittenhouse Square area sounds quieter. Is that correct? Since I'm sure we will be too tired to enjoy fine dining after the long trip, we are looking for a moderately priced restaurant that we can easily walk to and where we would not be out of place dressed casually; say some place with entrees in the $20-25 range. We're open to a variety of cuisines:however, we prefer to avoid chain restaurants.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

University City, which is the neighborhood where the Inn at Penn is located, isn't any quieter than Center City. But Penn's campus is very nice, so I think it would be worth a visit for you one day since you have the time and apparently some interest. (Unfortunately, July isn't when the campus is at its prettiest since a lot of construction projects are done over the summer, as you would probably expect.)

Rittenhouse Square is a little quieter and has a more mature vibe than Old City, in my opinion, though it's still lively. Rittenhouse Square would be my choice of location, and it sounds like it would be the best fit for you, too.

Others are much better at restaurant recommendations than I am, but for what it's worth, here are a few casual places I like in Rittenhouse Square:

Dandelion, http://thedandelion.me

Village Whiskey, http://philadelphia.villagewhiskey.com

Pietro's, http://www.pietrospizza.com

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,064 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

I really like Parc Brassereie (www.parc-restaurant.com) for location, food and atmosphere. Parc is right on Rittenhouse Square. It can get busy, so might not be the absolute best choice for your first night after a long trip, but put it on your list for lunch or dinner while in Philadelphia.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

You're not coming around the Fourth of July, are you? That will be a busy, loud time, so if you'll be here then, I would have different advice on where to stay.

Also, you might check to see if the Rittenhouse Hotel is in your budget.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,835 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

Agreeing with all the restaurant choices so far. BTW, what are your academic areas?

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

No, we're not brave enough to attempt Philly for the first time on the 4th! Right now, we're planning to arrive on July 19. I looked at both Rittenhouse Hotel and Rittenhouse 1715. Rittenhouse Hotel seemed too pricey. I initially booked RIttenhouse 1715 until I learned from the management that no king sized beds were still available outside the most expensive suites.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

Sub-atomic physics and English (or more specifically--writing, rhetoric, and digital media)

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,835 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seniors Arriving by Train: Where to Stay?

Try Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel.