We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

philly in a week

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
philly in a week

dear all,

I'm heading to philly in approximately 2 weeks and am thinking ahead of the things I want to do. Would appreciate any kind advice.

Im probably picking up the 3 days philly pass to have access to the main tourist stops. In addition, am thinking of spending a day at the King of Prussia mall, a day at the philly outlets and possibly a day trip to NYC. Am I being too ambitious here?

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: philly in a week

Also note you have to ship everything you buy back!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: philly in a week

The Coach and Kate Spade outlets have merchandise that is made specifically for the outlets, not the regular styles that are sold in department stores, in the brands' own retail stores, and on the brands' Web sites. The outlet prices can be good for both of those brands if you like the style and quality of the outlet merchandise. I generally prefer the regular lines.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 03:04
Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: philly in a week

I'm particularly looking for data plans for my iPad mini actually so that I can use maps and google for information as and when needed on my trip

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: philly in a week

this articled may help you www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414494,00.asp

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: philly in a week

I wouldn't waste two days shopping at the King of Prussia Mall and the outlet malls. Center City Philly has so much to offer tourists, especially first time visitors.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 06:10
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: philly in a week

Are you committed to that hotel? You may find one of the following areas of Center City more enjoyable:

Midtown Village

Rittenhouse Square

Old City/Society Hill

Edited: 24 June 2014, 06:16
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,763 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: philly in a week

Cell phone service and data plans are expensive in the U.S, compared to other countries. You still have the issue of your iPad Mini working on a network here. Does it work on 4G and LTE? Also, there are hundreds of wifi hotspots around.

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: philly in a week

I've read that article on PCmag before. My ipad is not locked to any network and does have a SIM card slot thus my question on getting a prepaid SIM card. Good to know there are wifi spots around. I'm assuming that these will be at cafés so I will need to spend some money to get the password perhaps?

Understandably there will be lots to see in Philly but I'm really not into history. I do, on the other hand, want to shop since I frequently shop online and have things delivered to my home country so being there means I will save on shipping charges.

Yes, I will be staying at that hotel, not my choice as accommodation has been arranged for me.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,763 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: philly in a week

Most cafes just have wide open free wifi. No purchase necessary. You need to click to agree to their Terms & Conditions before you get access. No big deal. Starbucks is the easiest. There's at least one on every block (not much of an exaggeration). They recently added Google as a provider, and that is definitely free.

If you will not have a car, getting to King of Prussia involves one bus transfer from your hotel. Not a big deal- just something to be aware of. Let me know if you need specifics.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 14:14
Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: philly in a week

Thank you for all the useful information.

Yes, I'll be relying on the public transport to get around. Was thinking of using uber service. Otherwise, if buses are manageable, I'm open to that idea too.