We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia for 5 days solo?

London
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Philadelphia for 5 days solo?

I will be staying in Philadelphia next week for five days, for the majority of the day ill be on my own. Any tips or recommendations for a solo visitor? Also, does anyone know of bicycle hire places in the city (preferebly central)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philadelphia for 5 days solo?

What kinds of tips or recommendations are you looking for, aside from bike rentals? It's hard to know how to help you since your question is so broad and you've told us nothing about where you're staying, what you're interested in, or what your plans are. Have you read the FAQs, which are on the right side of the page on the desktop version, not the mobile version, of TA? There's a lot of good info there on things to do, transportation, and restaurants.

London
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Philadelphia for 5 days solo?

Indeed, it was a a far too vague question. Specifically, Is it possible to walk along the river and generally around the city? Also what's the best way to get from the airport? Many thanks

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philadelphia for 5 days solo?

Center City is compact and very walkable. Public transportation and taxis are also readily available, so getting around is easy. You can walk along the Delaware River around Penn's Landing or the Schuylkill River along the Schuylkill River Trail.

There's an FAQ on transportation from the airport. For more specific help, tell us where you're staying.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philadelphia for 5 days solo?

As Lauren1217 suggested, I would start by reading the FAQ section which is on the desktop (not mobile) version of TA.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 05:13
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philadelphia for 5 days solo?

Here's the info you are looking for on bike rentals. The Schulkill Banks is a great place to ride a bike. Also, Philadelphia in general is a bike friendly city. www.schuylkillbanks.org/activities/biking

As others have said, take a look at the FAQs on the top right, here is the one for travel from the airport. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-s301/Philadelp…

hfx
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philadelphia for 5 days solo?

I was in Philly for three days with my wife who was on conference, in April. There is a train from the airport in to Center City, but be sure you have US funds on you, we didn't and had to find a bank machine. Everyone in Philly was very helpful with directions. I did the HoHo bus the first day and it gave me a good sense of the area, and saw a few places to see on foot. highly recommend the Reading Market and the Water works, as mentioned above. Since I had never been to New York City, I took the 9 am Amtrak, got to Penn Central NYC at 10:30 ish and walked about, saw the sights, and took the 6 pm train and got back to Philly at 8:30 ish. We had a great time in Philly, lovely people, beautiful city.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 18:24
London
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Philadelphia for 5 days solo?

Thank you very much for all the posts- all great info. John, that's v useful to know ill definitely do that from the airport. Many thanks,

8. Re: Philadelphia for 5 days solo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:15