We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

philadelphia hotel advice please

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
philadelphia hotel advice please

hello kind and knowledgeable tripadvisor folks

my 16 year old son and i will be on a college tour of the east coast and arrive in philadelphia 8/17. we will have a rental car.

we are touring temple university on monday and drexel and villanova on tuesday.

i'm not familiar with philadelphia. is there a central location that would be the best area to stay so my son can get a sense of what living in philadelphia would be like?

on expedia the best deals are at these hotels: palomar, sofitel, independent and omni (which are all around 150/night) and the alexander (116/night)

thank you for your advice

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: philadelphia hotel advice please

Just as an FYI, you wont need a car to get to Drexel or Temple. Both are fully accessible by public transit. You can also take train to Villanova, though in that case it would be helpful to have a car to see the surrounding area.

Of the hotels you recommend, I think that either the Palomar or the Sofitel would be the most centrally located for your purposes.

here is the website for SEPTA for further info on public transit http://www.septa.org/

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: philadelphia hotel advice please

How many nights will you be in town? If you're familiar with Priceline, their express deals have good rates for the 17th and 18th. You can't go wrong with any of the 4* hotels on Priceline. They are currently showing $100 for both the Rittenhouse Square and Convention Center zones. Both zones make up center city and would work for your location. If using Priceline's Name Your Own Price, the rate would be even less.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: philadelphia hotel advice please

thank u rnr52 and relayer for ur replies

we fly in to jfk and are are touring hofstra and stonybrook on LI. then driving to rutgers and college of new jersey. we arrive in philadelphia sunday night 8/17 and are staying either 2 or 3 nights before driving to lehigh university. then north to union college and RPI.

i was thinking of spending more on a centrally located hotel that would allow us to explore the neighborhood by foot. it seems that south street is a trendy walkable area. but if getting around by car is easier, i'll just opt for something cheap on priceline.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: philadelphia hotel advice please

Any of those 4 star hotels on Priceline are right in center city and will have easy access to public transportation. Downtown is a compact area so you will be centrally located, regardless of hotel. We have stayed at many of the hotels and walk everywhere. The Rittenhouse Square zone is basically center city west and the Convention Center zone is center city east. The part of South Street you would venture to is the east end.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,952 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: philadelphia hotel advice please

The two locations noted are probably good choices. I would take public transit to Drexel and Temple anyway as that is how your son is most likely to get around. That will also let you keep the car in cheaper parking.\

Getting around by car inside the city is NOT easier.. :)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: philadelphia hotel advice please

It sounds like you will use the car before and after Philly. However, while you're here in Philly I would definitely leave it parked. As mentioned, Center City or "Downtown" Philly is relatively compact and very pedestrian friendly. There are also great public transit options.

The hotel advice is on point. Try a Priceline "Express Deal" or "Name Your Price" in Rittenhouse Square, Convention Center or Historic/Penn's Landing.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 04:46
Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: philadelphia hotel advice please

thank u relayer, loonbeam, and altgirl96

i'll get on priceline tmmr

and also call enterprise rentals and look into dropping my car off and re-renting after my stay in philadelphia is over

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: philadelphia hotel advice please

would the priceline hotels in historic/penn's landing be within walking distance of the walkable area of south street?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: philadelphia hotel advice please

Yes, it is walkable.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: philadelphia hotel advice please

South Street may not be what you expect. It's gotten pretty grungy.