We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a day tripper

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
360 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a day tripper

Hi

I'm planning to visit Philly for the day during a stay in New York and plan to take the train. How far from the main attractions is the Amtrak Station - is it walkable? Where would be a good place to head for to start a few hours wandering around, seeing the main sites and just enjoying the city - Reading Terminal? And as my time is limited ( and I'm ashamed to say, my knowledge of US history a bit basic) what are the must seesites/sights.

Thanks in advance

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a day tripper

If you enjoy walking, it would be a brisk 30-40 minute walk from 30th Street Station, where Amtrak is located, to the most popular attractions although some sights are as close as 15 minutes. However, you may want to save your legs and use local transit. Your Amtrak ticket is good to travel to the other two downtown train stations: Suburban Station and Market East Station. Market East Station, at 11th and Market, is closest to Reading Terminal Market, one block north and two blocks west at 13th and Filbert.

Many people like yourself come to Philly to learn how it became America's birthplace. You will definitely want to visit the Historic District which essentially starts at 5th and Market. The Visitors Center here is a good place to get your bearings. The LIberty Bell Pavillion, Independence Hall and the National Constitution Center are nearby. A little further east is Old City which has some historic flair mixed with an artsy warehouse vibe. There are a number of restaurants nearby in case your hunger is too strong to make it to Reading Terminal.

There's a lot more to do of course but assuming you're going be around for eight hours or less, the Historic District alone could occupy much of your day if your main interests lie in that direction.

Tony

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a day tripper

Thanks for the advice Tony - particularly about the best area to visit.

My other option of course is to take a cab from the station to the historic district ( I will be on vacation afer all!). Presumably it should be easy enough to pick one up at the station. Where's the best place to ask to be dropped off?

Cheers

Sherman

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a day tripper

You're welcome, sherman!

Cabs are plentiful outside the north end of 30th Street Station (past the big statue). It shouldn't be more than a $10 15-minute ride to most places. If you're hungry, ask to be let off at the Reading Terminal Market at 13th and Filbert. Walk one block south to Market Street and you'll be a 10 minute walk from the Historic District. Walk one block north and you'll be in Chinatown. Or.. ask to be let off at 6th and Market and you'll be at the beginning of the Historic District.

Tony

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,241 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a day tripper

The cabs at 30th Street Station are on the east side (stll past the statue), not the north side. The north side is Arch Street, south side is Market Street, west side is 30th Street, and the east side is Schuylkill Avenue (aka 29th Street). If you get to the cab line, and it is long (>15 people), and there are not enough cabs (rare, but it happens, especially if raining or rush hour), don't wait in the line- walk over to Market Street , cross the street, and hail one.

A cab is an efficient way to get from the train station to where you are planning to go.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a day tripper

Oops... you are right, Owlyn. I got my bearings mixed up a bit. Thanks! : )

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a day tripper

Hi All,

I'm also thinking of doing a day trip from New York in January and found this thread by doing a search (yes, some of us do use the search function now and then) and this is very useful.

I just want to know if there is any day that would not be good to do a day trip as I know in some cities around the world a lot of attractions are closed on Mondays for instance.

Thanks.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for a day tripper

There really isn't any bad day to visit. Since you will be visiting in the winter you should not hae to many issues with lines, or long wait. If I had to suggest any day to stay away from I would say it is sunday. I hope that helps!!!

8. Re: Advice for a day tripper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 04:15