We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Highlights 9/23-24

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Highlights 9/23-24

Just wanted to report on the hightlights from trip to Philly. I'm a native, but we did some new things this time...

Went to Tony Luke's so my husband could try their pork sandwich. He definitely prefers DiNic's. Although the sandwich was tasty with good bread, there was too much "juice" and the bread got soggy too fast. I had a cheesesteak and haven't changed my mind - Jim's is still my favorite. It was fun to try out another Philly institution, though. There was quite a crowd before the Philly's game, but the line moved fast.

Also went to the new Naked Chocolate Cafe at 1317 Walnut. It's a cute cafe with lots of chocolate offerings. My husband is a chocolate snob, though and wasn't that impressed with the chocolates (he tried about 5 or 6). We didn't try the pastries, but they did look good.

Next was a stop at Capogiro Gelateria at 13th and Sansom. We've been there before, but it's always worth a stop. Delicious gelatos. We had pistacio and something like sweet cream (can't remember the italian name). Both were great and a pretty good deal at $2.50 for the small cone.

On Sunday we went to Smith Playground in Fairmount Park, between the Art Museum and the boat houses. It's fabulous and free (although donations are welcome). There are several differnt play areas and a giant slide that you slide down with burlap sacks. Our almost 3 year olds had a blast. There is enough there to interest kids of almost all ages. Lots of climbing structures for older kids. Everything seems brand new.

Inside, it was a bit dark and the items seemed more "well-used" but it was very clean. They have a little lunch area, but we got kicked out of it because someone was setting up for a birthday party. There's a covered porch outside with some benches as well. There may be an outdoor picnic area, but I didn't notice it.

Hope this helps some travelers with future planning!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Highlights 9/23-24

Thanks for the report. Great to know about Smith Playground!

Lynn

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Highlights 9/23-24

I just want to clarify the location of Smith Playground. From my discription, it may sound like it's right on the river, but you actually have to turn off Kelly Drive to get there (Although it's quite close to the river). For more info, see http://www.smithplayhouse.org/.

Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Highlights 9/23-24

Thanks for taking the time to share about your trip!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Highlights 9/23-24

Thanks for the trip report - am glad to know about Smith Playground as well.

Suzanne

5. Re: Trip Highlights 9/23-24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 23:19