We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

North Alabama
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

We'll be in Philly for a birthday celebration New Year's Eve Eve (Dec. 30). Have matinee tix to 4nd Street at Walnut St. Theatre that day and want to plan a nice dinner out for the two of us. We're flying in the day before and staying at the Sofitel.

Also, should we stay until New Year's Eve instead of returning home on 31st? What's to do besides fireworks on the river and Mummers on the 1st? We're not much into the noisy club scene; we're happy walking around looking at the lights, etc., nice dinner, jazz....

Any suggestions ??

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

Philly is a great jazz city. Check out Zanzibar Blue (dinner and jazz in a sophisticated atmosphere in the heart of town, and walking distance to Sofitel), Ortleib's (dinner and jazz in a dive bar in a "up-and-coming" area), Chris' Jazz Club (haven't been there, heard it's hot),. Many, many more...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

There are tons of very nice restaurants between the sofitel and the Walnut Street theater. What kind fare are you interested in?

I love Zannibar Blue, it would a great choice for you if you decide to spend New Years in Philadelphia!

North Alabama
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

Thanks for the ideas! ZB sounds like our style and the menu online looks very nice. We'll check it out.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

I would agree with the others suggestions. ZB and Chris' are both excellent jazz club/restaurants with great food, atmosphere, and most importantly music. Never been to ortlieb's but I have heard good things.

To answer your other questions, the fireworks and mummers are the main draws on NYE and day. I don't know of any others, but some here would probably be able to fill you in. As it gets closer I am sure there will be info popping up on all of the events.

If you have never been to philly over NY, I would definitely suggest staying on new years day to see the mummers parade. It is very unique to philly (I don't think it is done anywhere else in the world) and would be something you may never get another chance to see.

Either way, Philly is great over the holidays and I am sure you will love it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

We had a not-so-grat dining experience at Ortliebs a number of years back. I don't want to dis the place (the jazz is very good there) but the food was really lousy. It was about 8 years ago, so maybe things have changed since then and another poster can give you an updated opinion.

Zanzibar Blue and Chris' are both great options as well - Zanzibar definitely fancier and pricier. Have a great time!

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

Here are a couple of dining options for your night out at the theatre:

Davio's (Italian) - S 17th Street - I've never been but Lynn (another Local Expert always recommends) - they have 15% off dinner for theatre-goers if you are seated by 6 pm

Deux Cheminees (French) - 12th and Locust - Excellent food - pricey, though - great atmosphere - they do a pre-theatre dinner if you are seated by 6 pm - it's 3 courses for $65/pp

Estia (Greek) - 14th and Locust - does a 3 course pre-theatre menu from 5-7 pm for $30/pp

Valanni (Mediterranean) - 12th and Spruce - pre-theatre menu - $30/pp from 5-7 pm, Sun-Thurs

I'd call any of these restaurants directly if you do decide to go just to make sure they still have these specials (especially so close to NY Eve) - personally, I know it is expensive, but I just love Deux Cheminees, classic French cuisine and in the winter it is great (it's two restored townhomes and all the fireplaces are lit, really pretty and the chef makes a crab veloute soup that is so rich it is to die for!)

Hope that helps!

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

I was not going to complain about ortleb's either but I went a few months ago and was served cake that was moldy. I did not find it until I was mid way through, I have not been back since. That literally left a bad taste in my mouth.

The entertainment is always top notch, but I think they need to close the kitchen.

North Alabama
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

Thanks so much to all of you for these great ideas. We'll definitely check into the restaurant/jazz scene and stay in town for NYE !

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

Suzanne,

I would never eat at Ortleib's- just look at the place! I don't think I'd even order something I couldn't drink right out of the bottle:) You go there for jazz and beer, and maybe a bit of "atmosphere".

Also, I know you know there is no 14th Street. I think it would be better to say the 1400 block of Locust rather than 14th & Locust. I can see the tourists now walking down Locust looking for 14th Street :)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Year's Eve Eve in Philly

Like I said, I ate at Ortliebs a number of years ago - and it was probably after drinking quite a bit out of the bottle, if memory serves me correctly!!

Thanks for pointing out about 14th street, was just typing fast and wasn't thinking.

Suzanne