We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philly restaurants: lunch weekends; dinner

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Philly restaurants: lunch weekends; dinner

We'll be in Philly next weekend with our 13-year-old daughter. Staying at Hilton Garden. Need suggestions for dinner Friday night near the hotel or historic sites and Sunday lunch/brunch (seems a lot of restaurants are closed during lunch on the weekend). We're thinking of visiting the Old Pine Street Presbyterian Church that morning. Thanks

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philly restaurants: lunch weekends; dinner

If I had a 13 year old, I know she'd think I was quite the hip parent if I took her to El Vez - it's trendy, but reasonably priced and the food is good - it's Mexican - it's on S 13th Street, just a short walk away from your hotel. Another possibility is that the Hilton Garden borders Chinatown and there are lots of good restaurants there as well. If you tell me what kind of food you like, I can make more specific recommendations.

For Sunday Brunch, I really like Fork, right on Market Street. I'd check out some restaurant websites to see if you like these options regarding cuisine. Hope this helps and feel free to ask questions.

Suzanne

Atlanta
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philly restaurants: lunch weekends; dinner

Suzanne-

Great recommendations as always. As for Asian, we like Chinese and Thai; wouldn't mind trying Vietnamese. Not keen on sushi. Should we eat in Chinatown, or are there better Asian restaurants elsewhere?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philly restaurants: lunch weekends; dinner

LantaLady,

Old Pine is awesome, in the structure itself and the church's history. (This is one of the churches that the British troops were not so kind to during the Revolution). The sanctuary is very beautiful in a unique way. Definitely visit, and when you do pick up the pamphlet that explains the designs stenciled on the sanctuary walls.

Lynn

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philly restaurants: lunch weekends; dinner

LantaLady: I am taking my 12 year old daughter (almost 13 year old daughter) to Chinatown for dinner tomorrow night with several of her girlfriends. They love it! Not only is the Chinese food quite good, the shops located in Chinatown are such fun for tweens and early teens. My daughter bought a Chinese dress, parasol and fan last year and wore it for Halloween. She really did look too pretty to go out trick or treating. There are also great Vietnamese restaurants in/near Chinatown.

Fork is a great suggestion! It is so close to the Historic District. Excellent food. Another good restaurant for 13 year olds is Devon Seafood Grill on Rittenhouse Square. My daughter loves to sit at one of the table on the sidewalk facing the Square. The food is very good and the scenery/feel is great. Very urban and great for people watching. We always seem to end up shopping at Urban Outfitters after lunch.

Don't miss the Reading Terminal Market. It is fantastic. Also, the old Wanamaker's Department Store recently reopened as Macy's. (next to City Hall and only a couple of blocks from your hotel) I am still sad that Wanamaker's closed so many years ago as it was such a great Philadelphia institution, but Macy's may breathe new life into this beautiful store. Even if you don't buy a thing, it is a beautiful store to see. My daughter loves the Juniors department at Macy's NYC (and our local mall for that matter) so it may be worth a trip.

Have a great trip with your daughter! Moms

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philly restaurants: lunch weekends; dinner

I haven't been there, so am going on friends recommendations, but Vietnam in Chinatown is supposed to be excellent. I like the Imperial Inn for classic Chinese - their dim sum is the best in the city - but I haven't been there for dinner in recent years. I'd definitely do El Vez, though - your daughter will love it.

Suzanne

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philly restaurants: lunch weekends; dinner

I agree about the Imperial Inn. It is our family favorite for dinner in Chinatown. I had another thought for brunch...Jones at 700 Chestnut St. Classic comfort food served in a stylish, modern atmosphere. They serve brunch. The menu seems to have a modern twist on old classics. Check out the website at www.jones-restaurant.com. Have a great time! moms

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philly restaurants: lunch weekends; dinner

Vietnam is an excellent restaurant. Vietnam Palace, across the street, is almost as good but not as nice in decor. Both are on North 11th Street between Race and Vine.

Lynn

Atlanta
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Philly restaurants: lunch weekends; dinner

What about walking in our area to and from the hotel at night (Chinatown, restaurants mentioned within walking distance of the Hilton)? Is this ok?

9. Re: Philly restaurants: lunch weekends; dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 10:23