We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
southern Germany
Level Contributor
978 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

Sorry folks, I keep you busy today...

My question is: of course I want to go with my small travel group to a nice place for a cheese steak to give them the real Philly taste.

But I am a vegetarian, so n o cheese steak for me. Now I learnt what a (cheese) hoagie is. What do you think, do cheese steak places in general offer hoagies,too ??

Thanks,Q.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

Any shop that sells cheesesteaks will make hoagies as well. Many will also make a vegetarian hoagie for you, whether or not it's on the menu.

There's been occasional discussion about who makes the "best" cheesesteak although not so much conversation about the "best" hoagie. Regarding the cheesesteak, the consensus here seems to be Campos (Old City), Dinic's (Reading Terminal Market), and Jim's (South Street). (I personally found Tony Luke Jr's near Rittenhouse Square to be pretty good as well.) Pat's and Jim's are the two most "famous" but it can be a bit challenging to get to their South Philly location without a car.

Tony

Philadelphia, PA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

As far as where to go for a cheese steak there are so many places and so many people that will say one is better then the other. Being from Philadelphia and being that I have been to many I would suggest just for the fact of the ones known the most. Pats and Genos would be a nice start only becuase they are right where the open market is also.

Pats is here http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/

I would give you ginos link but they are literaly across the street from each other, lol. As far as hoagies or subs as they are called, neither one of these establishments offers them. I am sure there are other places people can recommend for hoagies but just make sure they have amoroso rolls where ever you go. Either way the food is great and so are the people regardless what you may hear.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

My favorite is Campo's. Pat's and Geno's definitely have history, but I do not think their cheesesteaks are anywhere near the quality you will find at Campo's, Jim's, or Tony Luke's. Dinic's makes GREAT roast pork, roast beef, brisket, and chicken sandwiches but no cheesesteaks. However, they are in the Reading Terminal and you can find cheesesteaks at another vendor there, along so many other foods (many vegetarian options!)

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

Everybody will have a different opinion about the best cheesesteaks, but I'm sure you will enjoy wherever you go.

You may want to consider the Reading Terminal. Everybody can get just what they want, and there will be plenty of vegetarian choices for you as well. There are tables in the middle where you can sit after buying your food and enjoy some great people watching.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,769 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

I am also a vegetarian. Most cheese hoagies are good, but know what kind of cheese you want (American, Swiss, and Provolone are the usual choices). The trick is to go to a place that uses Amoroso's rolls. I think Jim's still does.

Philly
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

I agree with the previous poster, Reading Terminal Market will be close by, and have everything you need. There's a cheesesteak stand by the grandson of the inventor of the cheesesteak, and there's also a veggie place called Delilah's which is pretty famous (Got voted "best mac and cheese" by Oprah Winfrey, etc.) http://www.readingterminalmarket.org

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
373 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

I agree that a visit to reading terminal is a must do on a visit to Philadelphia but so is a Cheesesteak place. I prefer Campos, but Jim's is a Philly establishment and you would not be disappointed.

I am sure that you are going to have to eat a few times, why not do try to do get to both!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

More on the Terminal. Delilah's does have great mac and cheese, but that may be their only vegetarian offering. I think Dr Wife may have been thinking of The Basic 4, which is all vegetarian and quite good too. My recommendation for a vegetarian sandwich in the Reading Terminal Market is a veggie hoagie from Salumeria.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

Love Jim's at 4th and South. That's my vote.

southern Germany
Level Contributor
978 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheese Steak and Hoagie??

Thanks to all !! Lots of great choises!!

One last question: what is an Amoroso Roll??

Greetings, Q.