We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review

Corvallis
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review

Hello Everyone

I would just like to follow up on my first trip to Philly and to say Thank You! all for the wonderful advice as it made my trip a very pleasant trip. I want to say that the people of Philadelphia are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet and we made many new friends.

We stayed at the Sheraton Four Points (airport) and the room was average, but would not stay there again as it was too far from the city and the cafe and bar were never open when you wanted it to be.

Our first day we went into the city to and started with walking down the streets and felt safe for the most part and only a couple times did I feel I might be in the wrong neighborhood, but we didn't wander too far off the path and you just have to be aware of who is around you.

We followed the adivce to go to Chickie's and Pete's and had a GREAT time and some of the best food we had all trip was there and we liked it so much we had to come back our last night and have some more of the fine food and beverages.

We had tickets to the Ultimate Tailgate Party at Citizens Bank Park 3 hours prior to the game and it was great and would recommend it to anyone who is going to a game and especially if you are from out of town like we were.

My only complaints was the Taxi drivers (Thieves) and the people who work in the airports both Philly and Chicago (Rude). I would highly recommend anyone who is planning a trip to Philly that if you plan to ride in a Taxi Dont do it ! We met a couple honest drivers but most of them are thieves and will charge you more than you should ever pay for a ride and they always say the the credit card machines are down and never work. They lie to you and get very mad when you question them about the price. We had one driver try to charge us $ 55.00 for a ride from the hotel to Chickie's and Pete's and thats about 3 miles and we had no traffic. The same trip cost us 20.00 with tip from a honest driver two days before. If you can drive rent a car or use another form of public transportation.

Taylor&Kim

Likely To Sell Out
Philadelphia and Amish Country Tour...
410 Reviews
from US$169.00*
Special Offer
Founding Fathers Tour of Philadelphia
157 Reviews
from US$21.45*
US$33.00
Philadelphia Hop-On Hop-Off Bus City...
271 Reviews
from US$32.00*
Old City Walking Tour in Philadelphia
25 Reviews
from US$25.00*
King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
518 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review

hi taylor & kim,

glad to hear you had a good time here in philly. did you get a chance to enjoy chickie's and pete's crabfries and crab legs? next time you come visit, you must stay in the city to get the best experience...

sorry to hear about the taxi drivers. i remember a few years back when someone tried charging me $60 from center city to the airport, (it only costs $30 w/ tip), i asked them to call their manager while i was in the taxi so i could talk to them about it. needless to say, he took the $30 and left disgruntled. i feel like in some of the cities where taxis are big (new york, philly, etc...) they try robbing you.

i'm glad that all-in-all you enjoyed your trip... also, you had a chance to see this year's super bowl champs play =) E-A-G-L-E-S..... EAGLES!!!!!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review

Glad you had a good visit (aside from the cabbies). I've had good experiences with Old City, Avant Garde, and Quaker cab companies. Not so good with Liberty or Yellow. Just thought this might be helpful for your next visit.

Lynn

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
172 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review

Glad you had a good time aside from your hotel location and taxi experience. A great hotel not too far from the stadium area and right on the Avenue of the Arts is the Doubletree. I've stayed there a few times and it's very nice and spacious. You can hop right on the subway to the stadium and get there in less than ten minutes. Tons of great restaurants are nearby and many theatres. Don't let the cabbies scare you away from another visit!!!

4. Re: Trip Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 16:19