We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
411 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Philadelphia

In 8 days time myself and my daughter are travelling to Philadelphia. We leave Manchester to Chicago, then it's chicago on to Philadephia. I am well prepared for excitement at Chicago because when I travelled to Los Angeles in November I actually missed my connecting flight because the flight from Manchester was delayed.

This will be our first trip to Philadephia, so I would appreciate some advice regarding shopping, eating out... We are staying in Philadelphia from the 16th Jan - 22nd Jan, then we fly out to Miami until the 25th Jan, then it's back to Philadelphia for a few days.

Thank you :)

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philadelphia

Hi Vonnie.

There are many good restaurants in Philadelphia. What types of restaurants/cuisines do you like?

I'm sorry to tell you this but Philly is not known as a shopping mecca. Within Center City (that's our downtown and the original city as laid out by William Penn) we have some neat boutiques, art galleries, some upscale manufacturers' stores, and a Macy's. We have great places for buying food and cooking supplies, but that's probably not what you have in mind.

Most likely you will want to go to the malls in King of Prussia, outside the city. WIll you have a car?

Do you need to know about Philadelphia attractions?

Lynn

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
411 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Philadelphia

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for the reply?

I'm not intending to shop really, in fact I enjoy visiting places, so knowing about attractions would be good. I see you mentioned Maccy's, my daughter loves that chain of shops. When we were in LA she went to Maccy's and bought a lovely purse in the sales.

With regards to food I enjoy most things. Is there a Deny's?

Yvonne

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philadelphia

There is no Denny's in Center City, and even if there was, we wouldn't let you eat there. Are you thinking of Denny's for breakfast, or a different meal? We can suggest depending...

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philadelphia

Vonnie: How old is your daughter? That will give us an idea of what to recommend. I have children ranging in age from 9 to 13 and I frequently host my neices and nephews up to the age of 24. They all love Philly but for different reasons. Let us know her age and we'll be better able to direct you.

As for Denny's, you won't need to look for Denny's in Philly. There are just so many wonderful restaurants that are sure to impress you and your daughter that Denny's won't enter your mind! Moms

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philadelphia

Vonnie,

Let me explain something about Philadelphia and food. Philadelphians are of many different heritages and the restaurants reflect that. You can get great burgers, but you can also enjoy excellent foods from all over the world.

One thing for sure, you must go to the Reading Terminal Market (readingterminalmarket.com). It's a wonderful collection of food vendors offering foods of different cultures, plus butchers, bakers, and candlestick makers. (Only kidding on that last one.)

Lynn

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philadelphia

Lunch at the Reading Terminal Market combines a nice shopping and a nice eating experience, with the bonus that it's only a few blocks from Macy's. Try to go Weds-Sat, when the Amish are in the market, to try sticky buns and shoofly pie, two authentic if somewhat scary Pennsylvania/Philadelphia regional foods. There are lunch stands serving hoagies, cheesesteaks, Chinese, etc.; personally, I like the chicken shawerma special at Kamal's with a drink from the Four Seasons Juice Bar.

http://readingterminalmarket.org/

There is a fairly new little cafe in Philly, the Naked Chocolate, which would be a nice place for dessert or hot chocolate (assuming our unseasonally warm weather is gone by the time you get here).

gophila.com/C/…2042.html

For general Philly info, try www.gophila.com and for searching for events going on at certain times, try www.phillyfunguide.com/search.php

Hope you have a great time!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philadelphia

You have received great info so far. Here are a few other suggestions:

1. Philadelphia Art Museum: Go for "Art after Five" Friday night. The music is wonderful. You can get appetizers or dinner and drinks. Stroll around this wonderful museum.

2. Constitution Center: Love this hands on museum. How they made the Constitution hands on is beyond me, but they did!

3. Liberty Museum: A thought provoking museum. Makes everyone, American and visitors alike, think about the costs and rewards of liberty.

4. Shopping on Walnut Street: My daughter and neices like Lush, Arden B, Urban Outfitters and the Puma store. All are located between Broad Street and 18th Street. For discount shopping hit Daffy's. Macy's is terrific although the Jr. Department is not as half as good as the NYC Herald Square location. The store itself is beautiful!

5. Shopping at the Malls: King of Prussia is awesome and beautiful. Many of the same stores found in Manhattan but in a mall atmosphere instead.

6. Restaurants: El Vez (cool upscale Mexican fare), Continential (Old City on Market Street) or Continential Mid-town (retro Martini bar type restaurant with a cool, chic atmosphere and great appetizers), Devon Seafood Grill (tasty seafood in a cavernous interesting atmosphere), Alma de Cuba (Walnut Street near Rittenhouse Square; neuvo latino food, delicious). For casual fare: Reading Terminal Market is a must! Chinatown: our family favorite is the Imperial Inn which is known for its dim sum, Cheesesteaks are a must but I must confess I don't love them so I can't recommend a restaurant.

That's it for now. Have fun planning! Moms

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Philadelphia

You have received great advice thus far.

With regard to shopping, if you have the time to look through the racks, Daffy's offers some great bargains. And most Europeans enjoy Macy's, especially with the sales (I know this firsthand - my husband's family visits frequently from Dublin.)

The food recommendations thus far have been great. Another suggestion would be to take a cab to South Philly for some of the best Italian food and eat at a red-gravy authentic Italian restaurant. Good food and inexpensive. My favorite is Villa di Roma on S 9th street, right in the heart of the Italian market. Another slightly more upscale option is Mezza Luna.

Good luck and let us know if you have further questions.

Suzanne

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Philadelphia

Oh yes, Villa di Roma, delicious! And Naked Chocolate is so delicious! If I close my eyes after taking a sip of the tasting chocolate I would swear I was in Paris at Lauderee or Angelina's. It is that good! Moms

Philly
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Philadelphia

Where are you staying? Let us know and we'll be able to suggest food places. You can do a LOT better than Denny's!