We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

Hi to all,

well, here I am again as my trip is getting closer. You have helped with lots of questions already in fall and now I am coming up

with some more things to ask and hope, that you can help again.

I have made reservations at the Hampton Inn (Race St.). Do you think this is walking distance to the historic district and if so, how

long would it take to walk there?

Can you give me informations about restaurents close to the hotel

(any typ and price, I can have a look at the homepages and find out

if they will fit or not). We are a small group and we want to walk back to the hotel after dinner. So the location is important,too.

Thanks a lot, looking forward to come in spring

greetings, Q.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

The location of the Hampton Inn (13th and Race) is good - right by the Convention Center and central to so many things in Center City Philly.

It is definitely walking distance to the historic district - about 6/7 blocks away - keep in mind that Philly's city blocks are long, but it should only take you 10-15 minutes.

Restaurants close to the hotel...

Chinatown is literally at your doorstep with tons of choices. A couple of good restaurants in Chinatown include the Imperial Inn and Vietnam - I actually really like the dim sum at the Imperial Inn - it is excellent. I have not eaten there myself, but am going on a friend's recommendation - Charles Plaza apparently caters to vegetarians and is excellent.

If you cross over Market Street, there are some very good restaurants right down 13th Street. If you like Mexican food, El Vez and Lolita are both noteworthy choices. FYI, Lolita does not have a liquour license, do not know if this is of importance to you or not. I have actually never had a bad meal at El Vez and have dined there numerous times. Their mahi mahi tacos are delicious.

If you like steak, the Capital Grille is very close and has excellent food, but it is VERY expensive.

If you don't want to travel far for reasonably good Italian food, Upstares at Varalli is good and boasts some of the best views of the Avenue of the Arts.

Zanzibar Blue is a very good jazz club although I have not eaten there in years.

Nineteen in the Park Hyatt at the Bellevue opened to rave reviews this year and is also supposed to be excellent.

If you'd like casual fare one night (burgers, chicken sandwiches, buffalo wings, that kind of thing) Moriarity's next to the Forrest Theatre would fit the bill.

Deux Cheminees offers wonderfully classic French cuisine for prix-fixe. I had the most amazing crab veloute here, but, it is very expensive. I do believe they do a less pricier, pre-theatre menu as well.

That may be a start. You will encounter a number of chain restaurants near your hotel as well (i.e. Hard Rock Cafe, Chili's, Olive Garden, Applebee's) - really recommend avoiding these establishments, just for the sheer fact that Philly is such a great food town and you can get the above mentioned food anywhere.

Although they are not open for dinner, don't forget to check out the Reading Terminal Market, right down the street from your hotel - great for breakfast or lunch.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Suzanne

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

Hi Suzanne,

thanks a lot for the good "mix" of different restaurants. It gives us a lot of to choose from. I had a look on the map, all are real close.

No problem if only up to 15 minutes walking to the historic district.

One more question: we will have breakfast in the hotel, but just

in case I would like a nice coffee shop (oh, i LOVE breakfasts in the US!!), I mean the "old fashioned ones" with a counter and red leatherboothes to sit and plenty of (thin) coffee-refills?? Is there a place close to our hotel??

Thanks a lot,

greeting Q.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

Well, the Reading Terminal Market offers sit-down breakfasts in two sections of the market - the Dutch Eating Place (which has GREAT food, huge portions, but it is entirely counter space, no booths) and the Down Home Diner. I have been disappointed every single time I've eaten at the Down Home Diner - sub-par food, dirty utensils, terrible service. I haven't been there now for a couple of years, not sure if it has improved any - perhaps another poster can provide an updated perspective.

Hope that helps a little. I would highly recommend the Dutch Eating Place, it is great - the pancakes are the best with blueberries, but that's just my opinion!

Suzanne

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
639 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

we're going to be staying at the Hampton Inn for the Flower show in April and have bought certificate from restaurant.com for Shula's american steakhouse on Race and 17= any comments on food there or atmosphere- it appears to be a sports type bar =am I right

any recommendations what to order

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

re Downhome Diner:

A friend went there 6 months ago and is still talking about how terrible it was. I second the Dutch place. But when you're walking around, you are liable to see several diner type places to try for breakfast. I think there is one in Chinatown, not far from the Reading Terminal.

My favorite place is a cab ride away, not far from the Italian Market. There's usually a wait, but if you love American breakfasts, you should take a ride over some morning just so you know you're going someplace really good. It's the Morning Glory Cafe, and I love it! Corner of 10th and Fitzwater, and they also serve lunch and dinner.

Morning Glory

735 S 10th St

Philadelphia, PA 19147-2741View Map

(215) 413-3999

Editorial Review

Rise, shine and wait in line at this Bella Vista brunch favorite

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

Hi tramorer,

having a look on the menues of the Morning Glory made my mouth watering...

We will visit the Fabric row one day, and I saw on the map, that

it is not to far from there. So it might be a good option for lunch,too.

But I bet it is busy at lunch time?

I am looking forward to Reading Terminal Market,too.

Greetings Q.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

Yes, it is open for lunch and it would be a good idea to combine looking for fabrics with a trip to the Morning Glory.

BTW: you may want to check out a store called B Wilt. (on 4th St, just off of South St) They have great upholstery fabrics and I bought all my fabric for having slipcovers made there. The place looks really crummy and disorganized on the inside, but the people who work there seem to know where everything is. So, if you go in with an idea of what colors or pattern types you are looking for, you may get lucky. Things are well priced, and they often have small remnants which I suspect you could use for your quilts.

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

Thanks, tramorer,

I l o v e this kind of shops and I will have a look for sure!!

Greeting,Q.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

You're welcome, quiltlover.

BTW: here is a link for a quilt store in Haddonfield, NJ. A neighbor is a quilter and she likes this store. I don't really know much about it, but it looks really cute from the outside. If you wanted to take a ride over to check it out, you could take the Patco high speed line from Philadelphia which will stop in Haddonfield. The ride is about 15 minutes, really quick. You would be about 3 blocks from the quilt store, an easy walk. The town is really quaint, and there is a nice restaurant called The Little Tuna right next door to the quilt store.

But I suspect that you have probably found some quilt supply sources in the city already. Anyway, just a thought for a side trip if you are up for it.

http://www.thelittleshopforquilting.com/

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hampton Inn, which Restaurants are close??

Hi tramorer,

it seems to be a very nice shop, but I am not sure if we will make it.

Out time is limited in Philadelphia and we will continue our trip

to Lancaster county with plenty of quilt shops. But thanks a lot

for this lovely information.

Have you heard of the" Fabric Workshop " near cherry street?

It is close to our Hotel, the homepage looks like it would be an interesting place for fabric loving people??

Greeting, Q.