We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gamble at the Farnsworth?

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
828 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Gamble at the Farnsworth?

I've read so many conflicting reviews I don't know what to think. My boyfriend and I want to stay because of the rumored hauntings but I am concerned about the supposed roaches. I'm also not thrilled about bathrooms with no doors! Any opinions??

Taunton...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gamble at the Farnsworth?

We are going there in April and we are staying in the Jenny Wade room which is one of the newer rooms. I wanted to stay in the main house but there are 3 of us so we have to stay in one of the rooms that accomodates 3.

We are also hoping to see something paranormal.

We are going to eat at restaurants that are in supposedly haunted buildings and do ghost tours everynight. We are going to try to sqeeze in sitting at Devil's Den at night. We are also going to find Sach's Bridge.

Have fun on your trip.

Florida
Level Contributor
828 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gamble at the Farnsworth?

TO ttram02780

Which restuarants are said to be haunted and what is Devil's Den? Also, could you tell me more about the bridge? Thanks so much!

Taunton...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gamble at the Farnsworth?

The Cashtown Inn and the Herr Tavern are supposed to be haunted. I hear that they both have good food also.

The Dobbin House Dining room is another one we are going to eat at. It is the oldest building in Gettysburg and they had the underground railroad. There is also a spring that runs through the building. I don't know if this one is haunted but being so old I think it is neat. And again good food. I wanted to eat at the Farnsworth House dining room but I found out that they are closed for renovations until May 1.

Devil's Den is a part of the battlefield and things supposedly happen there. Cameras won't work and things like that.

Sach's bridge is an old covered bridge that both the union and the confederate soldiers crossed. It is supposed to be haunted also.

I read all 6 books from Mark Nesbitt - "Ghosts of Gettysburg". They were very easy to read (thin books - about 100 pages each) and they gave great information about the civil war and the ghosts in the area.

I love history and I am interested in the ghost shows so I can't wait to see Gettysburg.

Florida
Level Contributor
828 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gamble at the Farnsworth?

Thanks for all the info! I read about those books and planned on buying some off of ebay.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes. I would appreciate it!

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gamble at the Farnsworth?

Hi - hope I'm not too late to reply. I've stayed at the Farnsworth on 2 occasions, once because of choice (like you, I'd read negative reports, but my curiosity got the better of me). The second time was out of necessity alone - we needed somewhere that would allow a 1-night stay and this was the only place we could find. BOTH TIMES, we had a roach in our room - just one, and it was tiny, but a roach nonetheless. BOTH TIMES, the staff was unfriendly. BOTH ROOMS, no door to the bathroom. BOTH TIMES, the rooms were horribly tacky and claustrophobic. One time, the room was so hot, we couldn't breathe or sleep. The other, so cold we slept in jeans. Breakfast is served within a 30-minute window and if you don't get there when they tell you, you're out of luck. You're better off going to a restaurant, anyway - who wants to eat in a place where there are roaches?? Neither time did we see anything spookier than what I've already mentioned! And my biggest complaint? - the plastic grocery store bags they use to line the in-room trash cans. I mean, come on - for a place that rakes in tourists at the volume they do, can't they spring for trash can liners?! Call me crazy, but this bothered me more than anything.

If you want a good spooky hotel experience, try the Herr Tavern & Publick House. Room 4 is supposedly their most haunted, but Room 1 made a believer of me! Lots of atmosphere (some complain about the squeaky floorboards, but we found them charming) and a bit more expensive than the Farnsworth, but worth every penny.

Have a great trip, and let me know how it goes wherever you decide to stay.

Florida
Level Contributor
828 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gamble at the Farnsworth?

Thanks for your input. I replied to another one of your posts on another thread. When did you stay there last? I already gave them the $100 deposit and I don't think I can get it back now.

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gamble at the Farnsworth?

Our first stay was in August 2005 - most recent was about 6 months ago. Which room have you reserved?

Taunton...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gamble at the Farnsworth?

I am also staying at the Farnsworth House in 2 weeks. I have a reservation for the Jenny Wade room which is not in the main house. I saw the past reviews for cockroaches but I hoped that it was taken care of.

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gamble at the Farnsworth?

For everyone making their first trip to Gettysburg...

If you are looking for lesser known haunted areas, seek out both Spangler's Spring and East Cavalry Field. They're a little out of the way from the main part of the park, but there's usually no one else there and it's easier to detect anything amiss. Seek them out first in daylight - the entrances to both these areas are off main roads and are very easy to miss if you're unfamiliar with them.

While you're at Devil's Den, make sure you cross the street at the top and go into Triangular Field. IF your cameras will work here, you'll probably get some amazing photos - the place is always full of hardcore ghost hunters, especially if there's a full moon or a thunderstorm. Also, don't neglect to stop at the Wheatfield, which you'll pass after you drive out of the Devil's Den area (you'll know it because it's nothing more than a big, open field with some roadside parking). It's the only place on the battlefield I won't go after dark, because it terrifies me.

Lots of reports come out of O'Rourke's restaurant, too - it's in the center of town, can't miss it.

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gamble at the Farnsworth?

The Jenny Wade room isn't in the original section of the building, but it's attached - you actually enter it directly from outside, from the courtyard. We once stayed in the Belle Boyd suite in this new section and we were concerned, since our door was right beside the tavern door, but the tavern closes early (everything in Getysburg does, even on weekends) and it was eerily quiet. Your room looks very pretty on the website.

Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg