We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Lee's Headquarters

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
TECUMSEH
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
General Lee's Headquarters

We are staying at the Quality Inn at General Lee's in late May. Has anyone had any haunting experiences (or daunting experiences) while staying here? We're taking our daughters, so I'd like to be somewhat prepared as to what we might expect.

Florida
Level Contributor
828 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Lee's Headquarters

I'm not sure but I think I remember reading that people have had experiences there. I think I read it in one of the Ghosts Of Gettysburg books.

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Lee's Headquarters

If you keep an open mind to the idea that almost all of Gettysburg stands on battlefield (it doesn't stop at the park's entrances), you have to expect the possibility of hauntings everywhere, regardless of whether or not each specific place is one of the "popularized" locations. I, too, think I may have read something about General Lee's, but it's nothing that stands out in my mind. Remember, it's located at the site of the 1st day's battle, so it stands to reason...

Either way, you'll enjoy the location - just outside of the crowds but close enough to be in the middle of it all within a couple of minute's drive. If you are looking for a ghostly experience, try visiting the Peace Light at night or walking around the area of Iverson's Pits - lots of stories come out of both places, and they are right by your hotel. You also have easy access to the Confederate side of Pickett's Charge, VERY creepy at night - I've been there many times after dark and have yet to leave my car! The area of park where you're staying remains relatively deserted at night, which, if nothing else, will make for a good night's sleep - and I'll take that, ghosts & all, any day!

Enjoy!!

TECUMSEH
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Lee's Headquarters

Thank you! I also arranged for a tour with a guide that has been highly recommended on the forum. He asked if there were certain sites we'd like to see in addition to the general tour. We're not that familiar with Gettysburg, so if you have any suggestions in addition to the ones you've posted in your reply, Pa, I would really appreciate those too!

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Lee's Headquarters

I think that the rooms in the actual General Lee Headquarters house are the ones where guests have had some interesting experiences. The house consists of a museum on the first floor and rooms/suites upstairs. The regular hotel rooms next door are more modern and shouldn't be haunted. I believe that the present hotel was built in 1955 as one of the first Quality Inns in the chain (then known as Quality Courts). The hotel is quite nice and has gotten a lot of positive reviews. I think that you will enjoy staying there and will find the hotel to be conveniently located near the battlefields. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

TECUMSEH
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Lee's Headquarters

Yes, it really helps Sac. Thank you so much! I think we made a good choice for accommodations!

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General Lee's Headquarters

I'm not sure how far the guides are willing to travel with you, but some out-of-the way areas where people have reported having experiences are Spangler's Spring & East Calvary Field (several miles from the popular Devil's Den/Little Round Top part of the park). These places are always deserted or nearly so when I visit, so it may make it easier to pick up some vibes. Sach's Bridge, too, seems to be a highly-charged area, but it closes at dusk and the police do monitor it - we once took a chance and showed up at night (along with about 30 other cars) and within minutes, an officer showed up. He told us we could stay under the condition we called the police if we witnessed any vandalism, but we felt guilty about breaking the rules and left! We've never personally had any experiences here, though the claims are numerous.

If you want a real "insider's" suggestion about areas to seek out, you may want to contact a Gettysburg local (screen name "Imalocal"), who contributes to this forum often - very knowledgeable about the park & town, and just corrected me on some misinformation I provided another subscriber!

I hope your trip is wonderful - you'll absolutely love Gettysburg!!

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: General Lee's Headquarters

I would agree with Imalocal in that all of Gettysburg is sacred ground and nearly every square inch had bloodshed and most likely every home from that era had wounded and dying soldiers lying on it's floors. There's always a chance of ghost encounters. I've only had two paranormal experiences...not sightings, but sounds, smells, and temperatures changes.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General Lee's Headquarters

We stayed in the suite in the house that Gen Lee used [see my review]. I would say that the room give you that ghostly feeling right upon entering it. But we never heard or saw anything there durning the time we stayed.

Also for two cents I really like this part of town, because it is quiter.

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General Lee's Headquarters

Forgive me, but I have to laugh....battle was nearly 150 years ago and there really weren't any reports of ghostly activity until after Mark wrote his books. Now all of a sudden they're all over town.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: General Lee's Headquarters

Imalocal....I've had two very real paranormal experiences here in Gettysburg, one of which was witnessed by two other people. Frankly, prior to them I was a skeptic myself. Just because you may not believe in the paranormal doesn't mean you have to be condescending about it to those who do. I'd agree that most of the stories told here about ghosts are made up, but there's no doubt that some are true.