We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First vacation in Gettysburg~~have loads of questions!

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WV
Level Contributor
60 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
First vacation in Gettysburg~~have loads of questions!

We are planning a vacation to Harper's Ferry, Antietam and Gettysburg in August.. We've been to Harper's Ferry several years ago, but this time we will have our 13 year old son with us!!!

We all really enjoy history and enjoy learning more, but I'm not so sure you could call us total civil war buffs, but we love museums and such. Okay, with that background how long would you say we'd need in Gettysburg? We were thinking 2 to 3 nights.

We plan on driving to Harper's Ferry on a Sunday, we will get there around 1:00 in the afternoon, then spend the rest of the afternoon and evening there, spend the night close by. Drive to Antietam the next day, spend a few hours there, then head up to Gettysburg.

We were also wondering about Maryland---anything good within fairly close range in Maryland to do or see? Our interests are very wide, we basically just enjoy being tourist and seeing what other parts of the country has to offer, we like Museums, Antiques, nature, history, shopping (well, I do at least--DS isn't so crazy about it), etc.

One last question, while in Gettysburg we'd love to eat at a nice restaurant, thankfully my son is a good eater and hates the kid's menu. I cook lots of different foods, so he enjoys eating out at nice restaurants. Could you recommend a good restaurant? Also, a good place for breakfast?

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First vacation in Gettysburg~~have loads of questions!

I know this original post istwo years old but you caneasily satisfy your needs in Gettysburg. I would strongly urge yo to stay more than one day. You really can't see and appreciate it all in only one day. We took a bike tour through GettysBike Tours with a licensed guide. It was the BEST. And I would imagine it would be great for kids too.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
371 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First vacation in Gettysburg~~have loads of questions!

2 years old! If I had noticed that maybe I wouldnt have spent so much time on it. MAN! I hope thay had a good visit and posted a review!

PA
Level Contributor
2 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First vacation in Gettysburg~~have loads of questions!

You will love Gettysburg!

For dinner, try the Farnsworth House. They have great old-time treats like spoon bread, pumpkin fritters and game pie. My hubby (a very picky eater) absolutely loves it there. A great cheap breakfast place is the Lincoln Diner. Food, service and price can't be beat. I did notice they only take cash or trav's checks, though. I think you are right on w/ 2-3 nights in Gettysburg. You may want to go to the Visitor's Center and hook up with a private tour with a park ranger. I think it costs about $30 and it's well worth it.

Alachua, FL
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First vacation in Gettysburg~~have loads of questions!

There is plenty to do in Maryland. You will go right past Catoctin mountain/Cunningham falls parks which are nice and you are only about 60-90 minutes from Baltimore AND Washington DC.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First vacation in Gettysburg~~have loads of questions!

We also just returned from D.C. and Gettysburg. Our 13 and 11 yr old said it was the best vacation they have ever had and each year we go some place different. Just to add as so many others have, you have to get a private guide for the battlefield. I will go one step futher and tell you to ask for Mike L. He was incredible and the boys are still talking about him. He was excellent with that age group and was very excited to see they knew their facts about the civil war. He engaged them in conversation the whole time while giving them so many unknown facts and details. We did not reserve in advance and were lucky to get him.

As for resturants, we had the very best Italian meal ever in Gettysburg, but I can't remember the name! I am sure someone can advise. It is just past tbe circle in the center of town, small quaint Italian place from pizza to any kind of pasta dishes. Best Italian food I've had and we are from the Boston area. Very reasonable.

Don't expect too much from the ghost walks other than some stories to make your kids wonder if there could be ghosts. We listened to the kid at the counter say about 10 times to everyone who walked in, "your refund is free if you don't come back alive". The only thing scarey was watching the poor young girl who was the guide trying to keep the candle lit. Gettysburg is an awesome town, spend time on the battlefield even after you do the private guide. Buy a cheap cooler and pack a lunch and sit with the family. It is incredible there.

Good luck, have fun.

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First vacation in Gettysburg~~have loads of questions!

Maybe the Italian restaurant you're thinking of is Mamma Ventura on Chambersburg Street, about 6 doors down from the Square?

17. Re: First vacation in Gettysburg~~have loads of questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg
Recent Conversations