We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

jeannefit
3 posts
Save Topic
Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

HI All,

I am planning a quick trip (2 days) to Gettysburg next week. I just booked my hotel. My husband got a few days off during my kids spring break. I'm really not sure we should go because my kids and my husband are not history buff's, although I am (my husband moved to U.S. when he was 21 year old). We are not able to go in the summer because we go on big trips, and Gettysburg is only 3 hours from my house. I am trying to find a quick trip 3-4 hours away from NYC, gettysburg fits the bill but do you think it will too cold, or boring for girls 7 and 9?

Thanks for you help.

Jeanne

Julie1066
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

I am in the same position! Is it worth taking two kids 9 and 12 to Gettysburg in February?

We'll spend one night.

Thanks,

Julie

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
18 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

I personally love Gettysburg - any time of the year. However, I also like history. There are some fun kitschy things to do - like the Hall of Presidents and ghost tours. Some of the monuments on the battlefields really are works of art - especially VA, NC, LA and the ones on the "backside" of Pickett's charge. The NY Castle and the huge PA monument are popular for kids. Boyd's Bears is nearby and if you've never been, it's really something to see. 4 stories high full of bears! The more modern downtown area has shopping and pubs and coffee houses.

If you want the best battlefield experience, go to the Visitor Center early, and rent your own tour guide. These experts will get in your car with you and tailor the tour to fit you - not just the bus going around with the tape playing in the background.

Kilwin's Icecream on Steinwehr is enough to give you sugar shock just walking in but it is a must visit! O'Rorkes has some of the best food in Gettysburg.

Visit the Gettysburg website and they can give you some ideas about other things to do.

I hope you have a fun trip!

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

Boyd's Bears is closed for renovation until the spring.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
18 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

Boyd's Bears Closed? Thanks for the update.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,512 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

My son went to Gettysburg with his history class in December and it snowed while they were there. They were unable to go to Little Round Top because the bus could not make it up the road. I do not know if the road was closed to car traffic as well, but it would be worth checking before you go because there could be snow/ice/sleet in February at Gettysburg.

Would it be possible for you to make this trip alone and leave the girls at home with their dad? I'm afraid that a husband and kids that are not history buffs probably would not enjoy themselves at Gettysburg in February. But I would hate for you to miss the extraordinary experience of Gettysburg.

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

I love Gettysburg in any season, but my family is divided when it comes to history. I've learned from experience - those not interested in history are better off at home until tourist season is in full swing and all the shops/attractions are open. I'm spending this coming weekend in Gettysburg with one sister who loves history as I do (and one who will go anywhere without complaint, just to get away!) and we'll spend most of our time in the park, as we do regardless of season, so it will be great - if I had to bring the others, who need to be entertained and tolerate history in small doses, it would make for a very loooong weekend!

On a brighter note - if you've already made your reservations and the trip is a done deal, at least the weather is supposed to be a bit warmer over the weekend and not as wet as we'd first thought. Also, our kids (ages 2, 5 & 10) have always had a great time there, especially in the park, where there's so much room for them to run & explore - they prefer to be there than in town, shopping or visiting museums.

Whenever you get there, enjoy!

jeannefit
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

Thank you all for the information. I was able to cancel my reservation and I will go sometime either in the summer and I will drag my kids or I will go by myself.

I did make a reservation for Hershey PA - so we will see how that place is in Feb.

Thanks again.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
371 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

Hershey is a much better choice for your kids this time of year. It is cold here and we dont have a bunch for kids to do. However Ski Liberty for snow tubing is fun. The Explore and More Childrens museum is always a hit with my kids. It is small and you may want to call them and see if its age appropriate and not to young for your guys. Have a safe and fun trip!

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

Im sure the local Chamber of Commerce won't appreciate this, but January - March are my least favorite months of the year here in Gettysburg. Like the rest of the East Coast, it's usually cold, wet, and overcast. I love April-December as the seasons change. Even though it's cold in December, the downtown is decorated nicely for the holidays.

10. Re: Is is worth going to Gettysburg in Feb?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 01:17