We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel From Illinois By Bus or Train Need Help??/

illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travel From Illinois By Bus or Train Need Help??/

We are wanting to come to Gettysburg by bus or train and need info on local bus or train schedules. Also need information on how to rent a car and the closest information??? We have checked trains and Harrisburg is the closest? Does anyone have any information or advice locally to help us that the Internet might not provide? Thanks so much!!!

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel From Illinois By Bus or Train Need Help??/

Hi martinmanIllinois -

I'm no expert on this subject, but I believe the closest train or bus lines you'll find are the Greyhound and Amtrak stations in Harrisburg. To rent a car, Harrisburg Int'l Airport is a sure bet, but you'll need to take a cab to pick it up - I believe it's only a few miles from the Amtrak terminal and much further from the bus station. Once you have your vehicle, Gettysburg is a quick 1/2 hour drive from Harrisburg.

There must be smaller, independent car rental places closer to the train/bus stations...have you posted on the Harrisburg forum? I'm sure a local there would know. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help!

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel From Illinois By Bus or Train Need Help??/

Frederick MD may also be a possibility. It's about 40 minutes south of Gettysburg. The Greyhound Station seems to be at the MARC station (DC commuter train). It is also theoretically possible to take Amtrak to DC and then the MARC up to Frederick, where you might rent a car.

There is a small Enterprise car rental place in Gettysburg. They might be willing to arrange a pickup in either Frederick or Harrisburg.

3. Re: Travel From Illinois By Bus or Train Need Help??/

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 03:19