We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with good places to eat and visit with young children

Rutledge, Tennessee
2 posts
Save Topic
Help with good places to eat and visit with young children

My husband and I will be visiting Gettysburg in early June with our 8 and 3 year old children. We are looking for help on finding some inexpensive kid friendly places to eat (not fast food or chain resturants) and some fun activities for the kids. We are more of a history minded family and prefer to stay away from the tourist trap locations. Thanks for any help!

History Nerds Battlefield & Education Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Segway Tours of Gettysburg (SegTours, LLC)
Segway Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Victorian Carriage Company
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours
Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
371 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with good places to eat and visit with young children

Hi! Mine are 2 and 7 and I live here. I reccomend several place for you.

General Picketts Buffet: Inexpensive, decent food, very family friendly. Can be crowded at peak times cuz buses come but the place does a great job keeping it moving

O"roukes: When you feed yours its before the bar crowd comes. The menu is great and mom and dad can have a much needed drink!

Pings: Downtown and always has kids and college kids. Best Asian around.

Mayflower is a buffet and they are always family friendly and this one has a big fish tank and neat statues the kids like. Food isnt Pings but good.

Montezuma: Not too spicy mexican and always loud and the boths are high and long. As a mom these are good factors.

Well, those are some of my familys usual spots. We hate chains too. Sometimes I just know my kids wont hold it together at someplace like the Blue Parrot or Old Eagle so we go to those places.

Oh! And the ROman Inn downtown for subs is a MUST and they deliver so if you stay inn try there before Dominos! Ok, I will stop. LOl

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
268 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with good places to eat and visit with young children

I second Pickett's Buffet. Not my personal fist choice, but the kids love it - good selection of "kid friendly" foods and just being able to get up and walk around the buffet keeps them from going stir crazy. The food really isn't bad, as far as buffets go, and you can't beat the price - $1.99 for children, around $11 for aults. Not really a historic place, except for the name & the memorabilia on the walls.

As far as activities go, we've taken the kids (then 3 & 8) to Explore & More, a hands-on activity center on East Middle Street. It's an old house in which each room has been converted into an activity-specific area, i.e. a construction room, a nature room, an arts-n-crafts room, etc. The kids had a ball, though you should be prepared for wet paintings hanging on the walls (we backed into several) and a lack of seating for adults. Also, adults are charged to enter, and you enter & exit through a gift shoppe.

There's The Land of Little Horses, too, which our kids loved - big, outdoor area filled with tiny horses & a few other animals. There are shows, wagon rides, pony rides, snack bar, etc. This, however, proved to be a VERY pricey, and again, in & out through the gift shoppe.

We've found our little one's very favorite activity in Gettysburg is simply having the freedom to wander the battlefield - hopefully your's will feel the same & save you a little money!

Have a fantastic visit.

Mentioned in this post
Explore & More
Explore & More
73 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with good places to eat and visit with young children

To the west of Gettysburg, you can visit Caledonia State Park--it's about a 25 minute drive. Caledonia is a great park for a quick visit, with a creek that's great for wading, lots of bridges and picnic areas, a pool (not sure when it opens), and a nice new playground set. It is also the site of the Thaddeus Stevens Blacksmith Shop. We just went for our first spring visit last week--our 3 year old said, "This is my favorite place in the whole world!"

Mayflowers (located next to the McDonalds on Steinwehr) is lots of fun for little ones. It's an Asian buffet, but they always have a plate of chicken nuggets! And the restaurant is interestingly decorated. The lunch buffet is cheap. If you have to go to the grocery store and stop at Giant, there is even a coupon on the back of the receipts.

Hoffman's BBQ is open in the evenings. They are located north of town, on Rt 34. They have pulled pork, brisket, and ribs, plus a picnic table outside for a nice casual meal!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with good places to eat and visit with young children

Just a correction to my previous post...Explore & More Children's Museum is located on East High Street - not East Middle, as I reviously reported and which is a street over. I'm sorry about that!

5. Re: Help with good places to eat and visit with young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 02:18