We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Battlefield Tours

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Battlefield Tours

Our family of 4 will be visiting in late June and want to take a tour through the battlefields. We have read about Tours on horseback, bus tours and hiring a guide who I guess goes in our car with us. I know there are also some with pre-recorded tapes but I think we will get more out of a trip with someone who is knowledgeable. Can someone please advise on the 3 guided options?

Thanks

Confederate Trails of Gettysburg
Horseback Riding Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Battlefields
East Cavalry Battlefield
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Battlefields, Monuments & Statues
Mishawaka, Indiana
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Battlefield Tours

Definitly hire a Licensed Battlefield Guide from the Visitor's Center. They will drive your vehicle & give you a tour of the battlefield from whatever point-of-view you want it from. I would do this before taking any of the bus tours. This website has link to call & reserve your guide. http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/

I've also heard great things about the horseback tours but have never taken one. Pre-recorded tapes are good, but you don't get to ask questions. There are lots of options & I don't think you can pick a bad one. Have fun!!

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Battlefield Tours

Do the tour with the guide in your car.

The bus tour with the guide costs about the same, but you can't beat the personal attention and the ability to customize your tour with the guide.

I did it last year and it was great. We are going back on Thursday and doing it again.

Oxfordshire UK
Level Contributor
200 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Battlefield Tours

We are also visiting Gettysburg at the beginning of Sept. We are from the UK and would like to book a Battlefield guide. Looking up the web site only gives me the 877 number which we cannot access from UK can anyone let me have a regular number I can then call.

One other question - we are in a hire car, how do we fare with the driver? Is he insured or do we have to take out insurance for the day?

Any info will be helpful.

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Battlefield Tours

717 334 1124 and ask to be transferred to the reservations dept.

Guides drive around in rental cars all the time, so you have no worries.

Oxfordshire UK
Level Contributor
200 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Battlefield Tours

Thank you for the info; I requested. This site is just so good especially for visitors from overseas.We will now call and book a guide ready for our visit. Cannot wait to catch up with all the advice and information gleaned for TA

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Battlefield Tours

Hire a guide for your car, no doubt about it!! You can reserve a guide thru the reservation line that is listed here, but you can also take a couple minutes on the Trip Advisor website and research it: there have been a few guides mentioned by name here that have received excellent reviews, and I believe that contact info has been posted on a couple of them.Take a look, then you know you'll be getting a guide others have complimented on.

Oxfordshire UK
Level Contributor
200 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Battlefield Tours

Thank you - I will look through the forum and do as you have suggested.

Oxfordshire UK
Level Contributor
200 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Battlefield Tours

Have now booked a guide for our trip in Sept; The lady we spoke to was quite surprised that we were phoning from UK and so far in advance. Would not have thought about it without all the advice and suggestions from this site. Thank you.

Baldwinsville, NY
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Battlefield Tours

The pre-recorded tapes\cds are difficult to follow if you are new to the battlefield. The bus tours are very nice if you are new to the battle and battlefield because of the general overview it gives you. We just came back from our 5th trip to Gettysburg and this time we hired the guide at the visitor's center to ride along in the car - which was great - his name was Jim Frick. I think the guide is best when you have been through the battlefield before and are vary familiar with the battle. I can't speak for the horesback - but I don't think you get a guide with those (maybe you do and I just don't know). Have fun - it's a wonderful place!

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Battlefield Tours

Horseback tours go with either a live guide or a tape. Ask when you book the tour.

There are also guided bike tours booked through the bike shop and last week I saw a tour on Segways.