We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

haunted hotels in gettysburg

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
1 post
Save Topic
haunted hotels in gettysburg

Someone told me once that there are some hotels in Gettysburg that are so haunted you can get your money back in the morning if you stay the whole night.

I'm not really interested in the money, I just want to find the experience.

Does anyone know if this is true and/or which hotels this might be?

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: haunted hotels in gettysburg

That "someone" has a vivid imagination. Doesn't make a lot of economic sense to let folks stay for free.

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: haunted hotels in gettysburg

Hi morphin43 -

You're probably thinking of the Farnsworth House. For years, I've been hearing stories of people who run from the B&B in terror during the night (in their PJ's, no less) into the welcoming arms of the Holiday Inn a few doors down, to find themselves greeted by an expectant front desk clerk who has wisely held aside a room for just such an occasion. I have my doubts about such stories, particularly after reading a review from someone who tried to check in late and found the front desk closed for the night.

MANY Gettysburg hotels & B&B's capitalize on the town's haunted reputation - and personally, I suspect some of these places really may have a lost soul or two creaking the floorboards at night. As for the ghosts of the Farnsworth... the overkill with which they bombard tourists (haunted rooms, ghost walks, basement ghost stories, etc.) really weakens the sincerity of their claims and demonstrates their quest for the almighty dollar. I've stayed there twice and the only thing that frightened me was the little cockroach that scurried across my room.

If it's a spooky experience you want, try one of the original rooms at the Herr Tavern & Publick House. They acknowledge a haunting but don't promote it as they do the building's history, which is refreshing, and the rooms are luxurious. I spent a sleepless night there and had one unexplainable occurrence after another - and whether it was a ghost that kept me up all night or my own overactive imagination, I got exactly what I'd been hoping for - really frightened!

Some other "haunted" accommodation choices are the Cashtown Inn, the Doubleday Inn, and the Baladerry B&B. Good luck, and have fun wherever you decide to stay!

3. Re: haunted hotels in gettysburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 04:16