We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Gettysburg and the Amish country

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Gettysburg and the Amish country

We're coming to PA in April next year and would like to include a trip to Gettysburg and the Amish area.

As we'll be coming from the south we'd hoped to hire a car from Dulles Airport and return it to Philadelphia Airport rather than collecting it and returning it to the respective city centres - coming from the UK I don't really want to drive on the "wrong" side of the road in busy city centres.

From advice received on TA it would seem more sensible to get the train from Washington to either Baltimore or Philadelphia Airports rather than go to Dulles.

Assuming we started from Philadelphia Airport I've looked at doing a round trip via Reading, Lebanon, Harrisburg, Chambersburg, Gettysburg, York, Lancaster, Coatsville, Downingtown and back to Philadelphia.

1. Is this feasible or even sensible?

2. Are overnight stops in Gettysburg and Lancaster the best options?

3. We'd aim to spend one night in Gettysburg and two in Lancaster. Does that make sense?

Many thanks

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip to Gettysburg and the Amish country

Yes, I think that's sensible.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip to Gettysburg and the Amish country

Just wanted to mention that when going to Amish Country, try to plan your stay other than Sunday and Monday. Most of the true authentic amish sites are closed on Sunday and some on Monday as well. The hotel I stay at is the Bird in Hand Family Inn in intercourse PA. Ask to stay in the pool building. This is the new part of the hotel and you can walk to many places from the hotel. They also provide a free two hour two to amish sites. Stay away from Rt 30. Very touristy and noisy. There is a good Amish restaurant there thought-it's called Dienners. Nothing fancy, but the food is delicious and very reasonable.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip to Gettysburg and the Amish country

Things are now falling into place - we've booked 2 nights at the Wyndham in Gettysburg and 2 at the Apple Bin Inn, south of Lancaster.

We leave Washington on a Saturday morning and thought about going via Harpers Ferry on our way to Gettysburg. The next day we would devote to the battlefield area before going on to Willow Street.

The following day would be spent exploring the Amish area and the next morning would be the same plus a stop at Longwood Gardens en route to taking our hire car back to Philadelphia Airport.

I still haven't booked a car yet as I still can't decide where to pick it up from. Dulles or BWI airports seem to be the best bets as I don't want to start from Washington city centre.

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip to Gettysburg and the Amish country

If you're going from Washington via Harpers Ferry to Gettysburg, renting the car at Dulles would work well.

If you're going straight to Gettysburg instead, BWI would be a little closer.

15. Re: Trip to Gettysburg and the Amish country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 22:20