We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different things to do?

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Different things to do?

Hi

I have been to Gettysburg quite a few times and we are planning to go again this summer.

What we are looking for is maybe something we have not discovered. We have done the battlefield (and will again as always) and Boyds Bears, most of the museums, several ghost walks and horseback riding. (we may do this again too)

Is there something different we can check out nearby? Any nice drives or historic churches? Has anyone done the Washington Bus tour? Are they worth it and which one is better?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Different things to do?

Something different and not sure this is what your looking for but there is the

All-Star Sports Complex.

indoor batting cages

go-carts

arcade games

basketball

volleyball

link:

http://www.allstarpa.com/

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
991 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different things to do?

-About an hour south, you can visit the Monocacy Battlefield in Frederick. We loved the small visitor's center and the driving tour. The center tells an interesting story about the Battle of the Monocacy.

-Half an hour to the west, you can visit the Thaddeus Stevens Blacksmith Shop at Caledonia State Park. (The structure itself is open occasionally on summer weekends) It is a nice park with walking trails, creeks, and some interesting history.

-Pine Grove Furnace, another state park, is to the northwest. It has the remains of an old iron furnace and recreational facilities. Lots of neat things to do. You can find slag, the waste rock from the iron furnace, in the streams.

-

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different things to do?

Thanks- these are some great ideas. My kids would love the sports complex. The parks sound real nice too!

Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Different things to do?

One of the funnest side trips we have done on our many visits to Gettysburg is the Utz Potato Chip Factory in Hanover, PA. It is about a 30 minute drive east on Hwy 116 to the town of Hanover. I have done it twice with friends and family and all have really enjoyed it. Its free and you walk through a long gallery with large plate glass windows watching the prodution line below of how potato chips are made. It is fascinating to watch all those chips on the conveyor belts. The tour is self guided. You get a free snack size bag of chips. Visit the company store and purchase their finished product. Search their website for visiting hours and directions.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Different things to do?

best potato chips in the world, UTZ.

my best friend's husband, who was born & raised in california, never wanted to believe that ANYTHING on the east coast was better than california...

but he admitted defeat once he tasted UTZ!

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Different things to do?

Thanks- We may do that chip tour. It sound like a lot of fun

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Different things to do?

The Washington D.C. bus tours are very good. You leave early in the morning and arrive back late in the evening. We toured all the monuments, Arlington, the Smithsonian, and saw the White House. The bus stops along the way back to Gettysburg for a meal. We are actually planning on doing the D.C. tour again this year. You will be glad you took the time to this trip.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Different things to do?

Which DC bus tour did you do? I see there are two listd. One is a bit more than the other.

East Berlin, PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Different things to do?

Here are two scenic drives - both quite good. If you only pick one, I'd probably go with the Historic Conewago Tour as it does go by historic churches, etc. Check them out and see if either or both appeal to you.

www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx…

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Different things to do?

Thank you for the scenic drives. They both sound great. I would love to see some of the churches.