We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to plan for my mother with limited mobility

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Tx
2 posts
Save Topic
what to plan for my mother with limited mobility

Hi and thanks for your help.

My mother and I are driving from Philadelphia next week and staying Thurs and Fri night in Gettysburg. We have an event to go to Fri evening but are free during the day on Friday and I want to plan something for about half the day. She's seen the battlefield years ago and really can't walk very far, tires easily especially if it's hot and humid.

I was thinking about a scenic drive in the surrounding area and maybe lunch at a nice place - it doesn't have to be an historic inn. Any ideas?

Anne

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to plan for my mother with limited mobility

There are two scenic driving tours in the Gettysburg-Adams County area. One is the Scenic Valley Tour, the other the Great Conewago Tour. They are both roughly 35-40 miles in duration and could be done together or separately. Try this for more info:

gettysburg.travel/visitor/member_detail.asp…

That will get you started anyway.

A really neat place for dinner (sorry, not lunch) is the Hickory Bridge Farm near Orrtanna, PA (about 10 miles west of Gettysburg). Don't know if dinner is an option for you.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
984 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to plan for my mother with limited mobility

Here are some ideas. Both of my sons were car sleepers as toddlers, which meant that we criss-crossed the county trying to get them to take naps!

Option 1: Drive north from Gettysburg on PA 34. Continue about 8 miles to the second stoplight in Biglerville. If you would like to pick up exceptional pastries for breakfast, turn right and go to Pomona's/The Gettysburg Baking Company, about two blocks on your right. Otherwise, turn left onto PA-234 West. Watch for signs as 234 goes left at a stop sign, and then right in the town of Arendtsville. Continue about 12 miles until 234 ends at Rt 30, the Lincoln Highway. Turn right to continue westbound on Rt 30. At the stoplight (in a few miles), turn right and then left into the entrance of Caledonia State Park. This is a very accessible state park. Go past the office and turn into the first parking lot. You can see a lovely stream from the car, or just sit in the shade with the windows down and enjoy the scent of the forest. Also a good spot for a bathroom break...the restrooms are right across the bridge, easy to get to.

Once you are done at Caledonia, return to Rt 30 and go east to return toward Gettysburg. You will go about 12 miles, past 234 and to a set of blinking yellow lights. Turn right at the blinking lights and you will be headed into Cashtown. At the stop sign, turn right to go to the Cashtown Inn, where you can have lunch from 11:30-2. http://www.cashtowninn.com/

Once lunch is finished, return once again to Rt 30 E, which will take you back into Gettysburg.

Option 2: This also takes you north. Start as before, on 34 headed north. You will go through Biglerville (feel free to stop for pastries!) but will continue north on 34. This will take you through the heart of apple orchard country, and you'll pass several farm markets. (Apricots and blueberries are in right now, and there may be some peaches!) You'll continue awhile until a stop sign, at which you will turn left to continue on 34. This will take you into the town of Mt. Holly Springs. You'll go along Mountain Creek, a well-known trout stream. At the second stoplight, turn right. (There is a Sheetz here, a local convenience store that also has clean bathrooms.)

This road will take you to the town of Boiling Springs. You'll go past several factories and wind through farmland until you come to the town. Turn right on the main road and you will find the Boiling Springs Tavern on your left. http://www.boilingspringstavern.net/

It's a great restaurant that we've enjoyed for lunch many times. Across the street, you can see where they have created a Children's Lake from the Yellow Breeches Creek. You can drive around the lake, or stop in the parking lot and just watch the people. There is plenty of shade. At the end of the restaurant parking lot, you can pick up the path that takes you to see the actual spring--it bubbles up from the ground in a way that looks like boiling. It's an easy path and quite short.

Alas, no clever loops here...you'll have to backtrack to return to Gettysburg.

There are so many other options. Pretty much any direction will get you to a nice drive and a nice restaurant!

3. Re: what to plan for my mother with limited mobility

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg
Recent Conversations