We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ghost tour Gettysburg

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best ghost tour Gettysburg

We will be in Gettysburg in early October. I know there are quite a few ghost tours operating there, but would like to know which is the best. We don't like the ones that can be "hokey" with costumed actors reinacting events (costumed guides OK though), but rather like good stories and history of the hauntings. We have taken many ghost tours in different areas and know that in October, some tours tend to get a little goofy and theatrical. Hopefully we won't run into that.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
History Nerds Battlefield & Education Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Segway Tours of Gettysburg (SegTours, LLC)
Segway Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Victorian Carriage Company
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours
Gettysburg
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best ghost tour Gettysburg

I recommend the Farnsworth House at 401 Baltimore Street. They are the original ghost tour company. The Mature tour is a lot of fun and starts at 11pm, so no kids.You spend time in the cellar and then go to a place they call the Grove (where one of the bloodiest battles took place in town.) You get to hear about the 3 mass graves out there. Last 90 minutes.

The farnsworth House as several other tours as well,all guides dress to period and is well worth the $9 a person. Have Fun!!

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
greenville sc
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best ghost tour Gettysburg

Does anyone go to Gettysburg for the battlefield anymore? The majority of the topics on this forum are for ghost tours.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Gettysburg
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best ghost tour Gettysburg

The night life in Gettysburg is nill to none. You can only be on Park property till 10 pm and most stores and resturants close at 9 or 930... that leaves ghost tours at night.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
300 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best ghost tour Gettysburg

I also like the ghostly images tours. I have done the Jennie Wade and the Orphan tour. Both take you inside a "haunted" building.

roanoke, va
Level Contributor
156 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best ghost tour Gettysburg

i'd recommend the ghosts of gettysburg tours. we really enjoyed the walk and stories told on this one. we also did a ghostly images tour last time we were there (the one that takes you into the cellar) and did not think it was nearly as good. we really only heard maybe 3 stories and the emphasis was on having the group take pictures in hopes of capturing spectral images.

Gettysburg
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best ghost tour Gettysburg

Depending on when you go to Gettysburg in October, if it is during a week night, The Farnsworth House does what they calla Combo tour. It spends 30-40 minutes in the attic where there were confederate sharpshooters, and cool artifacts. Then you get to go to the celler of the house that is set up like a funeral parlor! Once down there you get stories of the house and its done by candlelight, for another 30 40 minutes.Then they take ou to a place called the grove.Its cool too. Great stories and nice people. Its a lot of fun:)

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best ghost tour Gettysburg

May I suggest the Lightner Farmhouse B&B and their "ghost" tours. There are 2 to choose from--Miss Betty's Ghost Stories or Betty Roche's Gettysburg Paranormal Society 3 hour investigation of the property using EMF meters, digital thermometers and other ghost hunting equipment.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
wilmington, DE
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best ghost tour Gettysburg

Just got back from weekend at Gettysburg touring the Battlefields, The Wheatfield, Devil's Den, Spangler Springs and Sach's Bridge. Also visited the WWII Weekend at the Eisenhauer Farm. One "weak" ghost tour was enough to convince me that's no way to find ghosts. Found several of my own in photos taken at random in broad daylight, very unexpected and truly exciting. One doesn't need to pay for bogus ghost tours...just go out on your own and snap away at any time of day. The Gettysburg ghost tours are ALL theatrical, so don't waste your time.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg Ghost Tours
Gettysburg Ghost Tours
999 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
wilmington, DE
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best ghost tour Gettysburg

This past weekend at Gettysburg I called the Farnsworth House to make reservations for the Dinner and Mourning Theater. Apparently they're temporarily closed down according to the person who answered the phone, due to code issues with the boro. She advised me to call after November 1. Surprised to say the least, since this is one of the most popular venues available. There isn't anything to do at night, as one poster mentioned, which is why most choose the ghost tours.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Shepherdstown
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best ghost tour Gettysburg

If you want a good ghost tour, go down to Harpers Ferry in West Virginia. It's about an hour away from gettysburg, and they have the best ghost tour I've ever been on. They are not hokey, but the do dress in period clothing.

Mentioned in this post
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry
West Virginia
West Virginia
West Virginia
United States
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania