We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants during Remembrance Day weekend

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants during Remembrance Day weekend

I am a frequent visitor to Gettysburg but will be attending the Remembrance Day weekend activities for the first time. I've been told it will be very crowded so...I'm wondering if there are some little known or out of the way restaurants that alot of tourists don't know about that would be good to go eat and not have long lines or mobbed with people....is that possible? Even if it's in a nearby town, any suggestions appreciated. And yes, I do have lodging reservations and will have a rent car.

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants during Remembrance Day weekend

About 10-15 minutes drive east from Gettysburg is Hanover, Pa. Hanover is twice the size of Gettysburg and has many, many restaurants. It is a great place to head to when Gettysburg is filled with people.

Roughly 5 miles east of Gettysburg is Gina's Place, an Italian restaurant that has excellent pasta. It is along Rt 116. My guess is it would not be busy either.

Frankly I doubt there will be any restaurant in Gettysburg that won't be packed ...

Lititz, PA
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants during Remembrance Day weekend

I agree with the Hanover suggestion. I was just there not long ago for a business meeting and stayed at a lovely inn, the Beechmont. From there we went to dinner at Bud's at Silver Run. It was about a 20 min. drive but let me tell you that was one of the best meals I have had in years. I don't know what kind of food you are looking for but if you want an upscale amazing meal, this would be it. Don't miss the Rock fish in a vanilla vodka cream sauce. Amazing.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
984 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants during Remembrance Day weekend

On Saturday, you can go north on 34 towards Biglerville. About 5 minutes up the road there is a small BBQ restaurant (Hoffman's) on your left, with typical fare--smoked chicken, pulled pork, and so forth. They don't have a place to eat inside, but there are outdoor picnic tables if the weather is nice.

Once you get up to Biglerville, turn right at the second light. Go about a block to where the road curves to the left. Pomona's will be on your right. They have bakery items, wood-fired pizza, and a varying menu. The bakery goods are fantastic.

From Biglerville, you can vary your route by continuing east on 234, then taking either business 15 or the bypass back south to Gettysburg.

Both of these places are closed on Sundays.

Enjoy your trip!

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants during Remembrance Day weekend

Bud's at Silver Run is straight down 97 south from Gettysburg.

Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants during Remembrance Day weekend

Thanks for the ideas. Will have to try these.

6. Re: Restaurants during Remembrance Day weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg
Recent Conversations