We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

digging for bullets or artifacts

sarasota
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
digging for bullets or artifacts

My son is an avid fossil hunter, 10 yo. He has got it in his head that he wishes to find artifacts such as bullets on our overnight trip to Gettysburg. Knowing that this is not allowed at the battlegrounds, can any one rec

ommend where we could go to dig and respectfully recover our tracks?

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: digging for bullets or artifacts

Absolutely not!!! Digging on the national park is strictly illegal and carries heavy penalties. Nor am I aware of any private land where you could arrange this. Best to dissuade him now.

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: digging for bullets or artifacts

It's illegal to remove anything from the battlefield, including rocks, and as rangers have told me, even to pick flowers or gather acorns. I've seen people being taken away in handcuffs for removing park property.

The best you can do is visit the store on Chambersburg St that displays metal detectors and talk with the staff to see if they are aware of private property owners who allow kids to search.

sarasota
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: digging for bullets or artifacts

thank you for your suggestion to ask a store owner for directions to a property that would allow us to do this. As I had said in my post, I am fully aware of the national park not being an area that I would ever take anything from. I am well aware of this and have total respect for the law.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
997 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: digging for bullets or artifacts

I know of the desire to find something that's hidden underground--our backyard has several holes from my son's amateur archaeology! (We live well away from the battlefield, but we keep hoping to find pieces of pottery or glass.)

When I read your post, I knew that I remembered hearing about some dinosaur footprints in the area at one time. I searched and found complete directions for finding the footprints (currently located on a stone bridge on the battlefield.)

http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/?p=288

The directions are pretty clear...I think that I'll be checking this out, myself!

sarasota
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: digging for bullets or artifacts

wow, that is so very cool. My son will love that. I thank you!!

6. Re: digging for bullets or artifacts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2011, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg
Recent Conversations