We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bluegrass Firday Night at Arrow Horse

ny
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Bluegrass Firday Night at Arrow Horse

Right off the town square in Gettysburg, a store called Arrow Horse specializes in bluegrass instruments and recordings and holds an open jam on Friday nights hosted by the owner and a core group of about 6 players.If you're a bluegrass afficianado, you can bring your instrument and sit in with them. Or you can just sit back and enjoy the music. In a town with minimal entertainment options, a Friday night at Arrow Horse is probably your best bet.

No mention of it on the "things to do" list on tripadvisor, so I thought I'd get the word out there to any music fans looking for something to do.

Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bluegrass Firday Night at Arrow Horse

Any idea if this is still going on? We will be in town either the 18th or 25th of March 2011. . . .

ny
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bluegrass Firday Night at Arrow Horse

Sprocket and co.----

Haven't been to Gettysburg since i posted, but the Friday night bluegrass jam at Arrow Horse seems like it's a lock until armageddon. If you want to make sure, call the store in the afternoon (717-337-2899). If you play an instrument and have a passing familiarity with bluegrass music, bring it with you. They let everybody sit in with them and strum along. Also it's a musical instrument and record store and they don't serve any food or drink, so grab a bite before or after. Have fun.

Also, the Segway tour of the battlefield was the highlight of our weekend there. If time allows, jump on those puppies and take a ride.

Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bluegrass Firday Night at Arrow Horse

Lipslips ~

Thanks for the info. We do these little accoustic "jam sessions" at our home almost every weekend with friends and family.

We were in GB a year ago this April, loved it and am looking forward to going again in a week or two. However, we found the evenings really lax in entertainment and was very excited to see your post!

I will give the store a call to see if they are still doing it!

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bluegrass Firday Night at Arrow Horse

Oh my gosh . . . I just did an online search for the Arrow Horse and found a newspaper article that says Arrow Horse closed for business on Jan 29th, 2011 . . . just my luck! Anyone out there know if the "jam" has moved to another location?

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bluegrass Firday Night at Arrow Horse

It's supposed to move to the YWCA on Friday nights from 7-10

Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bluegrass Firday Night at Arrow Horse

Thank you very much. I will give the Y a call and see if I can confirm.

Harrisburg...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Bluegrass Firday Night at Arrow Horse

Hi,

Saw your post. Unfortunately Arrow Horse Bluegrass has closed it's doors as of Jan. 29, 2011. As a Bluegrass fan and musician I will miss the store. Hank was a premiere Deering Banjo Dealer. It's hard to find a store in Central PA that is dedicated to acoustic instruments.

The jams have moved to the local YMCA just a few blocks away. They are still on Friday nights and start at 7:00 PM. It is my understanding they are getting really good turnouts for the jams.

Keep pickin!

Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bluegrass Firday Night at Arrow Horse

Wanted to update . . . we attended the "jam" last Friday night and had a wonderful time. We were in town for the week from Upstate NY and didn't think to bring our instruments, but had a wonderful time enjoying all the local talent. Just a note, they will not be holding the jam this Friday (25th) apparently because of an issue with space availablity at the YWCA, but I understand this is a one time issue and it will resume every Friday after that. I for one, can't wait to go to Gettysburg again, and will definately make a point to find that very welcoming group of "friends" again!

9. Re: Bluegrass Firday Night at Arrow Horse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 19:16