We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffalo/NYC/Philly/DC Itinerary help

San Marcos...
Level Contributor
37 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Buffalo/NYC/Philly/DC Itinerary help

Need help with our summer vacation itinerary. All that's set is our travel dates and our flights. We plan on using Amtrak & other public transportation to eliminate the need for rental cars.

So far I have:

Day 1-3: Buffalo/Niagara Falls (visiting friends-not negotiable)

Days 4 - 7: NYC

Day 8 - 9: Philly

Day 10 - 14: DC

Like I said, our itinerary is loose and not set in stone, so for first time visitors with 2 kids (15 & 10) does this plan seem reasonable? Is 1 1/2 days enough in Philly to see the highlights? What would be the best way to fit in a day trip to Gettysburg? Is a day trip enough time to see the Battlefield and the Museum? (if nothing else)

I will also post this on other forums as well, but hoping to get some opinions. Thanks in advance to all.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffalo/NYC/Philly/DC Itinerary help

Without a car, getting to Gettysburg will be the biggest issue. Amtrak stops in Harrisburg, but there is no bus service (yet) to Gettysburg. They are planning to start a commuter service this summer, but you would need to be able to catch it at the times it is running. You could get a cab, but I'm not sure of the costs, it's about an hour ride from Harrisburg to Gettysburg.

In Gettysburg, there is a bus system that is very reasonable and will get you to the attractions, you can also take a bus tour of the battlefield.

Here's some good information as well on your trip

…usatoday.com/travel-gettysburg-pennsylvania…

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffalo/NYC/Philly/DC Itinerary help

Hello, I've been to DC several times and Gettysburg

Depending on what you like to do in DC you can spend weeks there.

Touring the Mall area is a day in it's self. Hitting any of the museums can be a half day to a week. I read if you spent 30 seconds at each display it would take you 80+ years to see it all. The National Archive is worth the trip, and the Mall is nice to. Gettysburg is a day and a half, I stayed at the General Lee hotel it was nice cheap and a good location. Not sure how your going to get there. The Bus tours are good. I'd say you need a car there. if you do get one and drive up by the Battlefield CD at any local gift shop it's the same thing as the bus tour. Look inside of the CD there's a map of the battlefield. I didn't know that until I got home. If you figure out what your going to do let me know, I've been all over these places. I also have a brother that lives by DC who knows way more about the place than I do I can always ask him.

If your looking for a USA history tour which it appears you are look at the freedom trail in Boston. No car and trains may go there.

3. Re: Buffalo/NYC/Philly/DC Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 19:18