We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gettysburg Tour Guides

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
20 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Gettysburg Tour Guides

I understand there are licensed tour guides for hire at the visitor center. If someone could refer a few guides and how to reserve

their services, I would be very thankful. AD

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gettysburg Tour Guides

You can reserve them online through the park website.

http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/15

If you're touring with children, ask for someone who is good with children.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
20 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gettysburg Tour Guides

Thank you for your information...do you have any hotel/motel/B& B

recommendations? AD

denver
Level Contributor
36 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gettysburg Tour Guides

Every year I take a 7-8 day trip to Gettysburg so I've gotten to know dome of these guides. I'd recommend 3 men with whom I've been out on several tours. Dave Richards, Charlie Fennel and Stuart Dempsey. These guys are outstanding teachers who know their material well. They are really professional historians who work as guides. We're getting close to high season so I'd recommend you call the visitors' center and make a request for one of these three guys. You won't be disappointed.

Maynerd

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
denver
Level Contributor
36 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gettysburg Tour Guides

In terms of your question about lodging, I always stay at the Keystone Inn B&B. I really nice place. There are lots of motels around. A very popular motel is the Colton Motel. It's not a chain hotel, it's in the middle of town and gives good rates for basic provisions in a room.

Maynerd

Mentioned in this post
Colton Motel
Colton Motel
333 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
369 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gettysburg Tour Guides

Are Dave, Charlie, and Stuart some of the guys who will drive you in your own car?

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gettysburg Tour Guides

We recently visited Gettysburg as part of a Road Scholar program. Our licensed battefield guide was Ted Gajewski, who I would definitely recommend. All of the guides that are licensed have a complete mastery of the battle and its key participants. Ted was extraordinary in his enthusiasm and animation. He will certainly keep your attention and I believe he would be excellent with children. The fact that he was selected by Road Scholar speaks to his capabilities. Contact by phone at 717 334-7936 or cell 717 357-1719.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
369 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gettysburg Tour Guides

I wound up booking through the Association of Licensed Battlefield Guides

http://www.gettysburgtourguides.org 717-337-1709

I believe they are the same people that the Foundation uses, and its $5 cheaper through ALBG. The man who called me back from the message I left works with the above-mentioned Dave, Charlie and Stuart, but they are booked up the day I will be there. The man I spoke with is Jim Roebal (sp?) and will be our guide that day. Sounds like a good guy, anyone know him?

Mentioned in this post
Association of Licensed Battlefield Guides
Association of Licensed...
797 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
denver
Level Contributor
36 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gettysburg Tour Guides

Sorry for the delay. I don't get on the forum regularly. There are many places to stay in GB dependent on your budget. I always stay at the Keystone Inn B&B. It's 5 blocks east of town and very quiet. Noise can be a problem in GB, especially from mid-June onwards. For a cheaper stay, the Colton motel always has high recommendations. It's a non-chain motel that is very clean. The fact that it's in the middle of town has it's plus' and minus'. Easy to walk to most places but noise can be a problem. It does have a pool which can be a plus if you have little kids. There are many B&B's around town and many motels northeast of town on the York road. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Mentioned in this post
Colton Motel
Colton Motel
333 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
York
York
Pennsylvania
denver
Level Contributor
36 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gettysburg Tour Guides

Dear Brooklyn:

As a native New Yorker and Yankee fan who bleeds pinstripes, have a great time at Gettysburg. Check our the Long Island monument on Culp's Hill and the monument to the 84th New York also known as the 14th Brooklyn just west of the railroad cut. Your guide will know where they are. For good Italian food, I go to La Bella Italia. For New York style thin crust, I head north of town to Deliso's. Few tourist get there and it's a local's place.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
La Bella Italia
La Bella Italia
469 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
denver
Level Contributor
36 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gettysburg Tour Guides

Hey Brooklyn it's fellow/former New yorker again. All the guides will drive your car while you sit back and listen. It's a great way to see the park and for first-timers, they know the chort cuts.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York