We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed and breakfast

Shoreline,wa
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bed and breakfast

So I am going as a single guy(wife has no intrest in history) i love the sound of some of the B&B with the history of some of them. Now,i have never stay,desired or even thought of staying at a B&B. SO i have venture the thought of staying at one,the one i have thought of staying at the most has been Cashtown inn. I am not a party person,but i have herd curfews?? getting back into your room is this true?. I like to see as much as possiple,ghost tours late dinniers etc. I love history,and ghosts lol and would like to explore the house and property,do they let you?, offer tours?. Just genreal info for solo travlers good and bad

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
997 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed and breakfast

I have not stayed at the Cashtown Inn, but I was interested to read the reviews. You can find them here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52318-d81371-R…

Would you rather be closer to town? Since you're on your own and would like to have ghost tours and late dinners, you might prefer someplace that's walkable. Cashtown is about a 7-10 minute drive from downtown Gettysburg.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed and breakfast

Have a look at Herr Ridge Tavern, lots of cool history and close to the battlefield. Excellent service and food, plus a fun bar next door.

http://www.innatherrridge.com/

Edited: 03 January 2012, 00:01
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed and breakfast

The most wonderful B&B in Gettysburg is the Doubleday.

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed and breakfast

Try the Lightner Farmhouse B&B in Gettysburg. They are just outside of town and the inn was a hospital during the battle. The grounds are large (19 acres) and they offer a paranormal tour thru the Gettysburg Paranormal Society which is based at the inn. There is no curfew at the inn. They have 7 rooms and all have private baths. The Lightner is listed here on TripAdvisor. The paranormal tours are available any night and run from 5 to 7 during the winter months and from 8-10 during the warmer weather. The hours can be changed if you desire a different time.

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed and breakfast

The Cashtown Inn is flat our awesome, best of the best. The owners are really nice and very accommodating, I highly recommend .

Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed and breakfast

Billmc67, I highly recommend staying at one of the historic B and B's around Gettysburg. I have stayed at Cashtown, Doubleday, Lightner, Dobbin House's Gettystown Inn and Baladerry Inn. Any of them are great. It will really give you the historic feel of G-burg and enhance your stay. There are no curfews at b and b's, you will either have a key or a combination to a door lock to let yourself in after hours. Cashtown Inn is great but is a ten minute drive west of G-burg. They don't offer scheduled tours but do have scheduled ghost hunt weekends, check the website. At any of these b and b's you can do your own little investigation with your digital camera and digital voice recorder walking the property and common areas of the b and b after everyone has gone to bed. Me and my sister stayed at Cashtown and when everyone else went to bed we stayed downstairs in the parlor taking pictues and outside too. I agree with the poster that if you want a good historic b and b with a guided ghost hunt...go with the LIghtner House B and B. Ms. Betty of Gettysburg Paranormal will take you around the Lightner property and also to some places on the battlefield at night but not past closing hours. Concerning your wife, there are other things to do besides CW history and ghosthunts/tours in G-burg.....there is outlet mall shopping fruit markets, wineries, museums and beautiful scenic drives around G-burg area,, cute shops in downtown G-burg and great restaurants. There is also the Majestic Theater with live shows, check their website. I bring my husband to G-burg every year, he is not the history buff but finds stuff to do that interests him and we go our separate ways....I do the CW history stuff and he likes to shop, go to the library in town and just go walking around G-burg and we meet up in the evenings to go out to eat. Just some suggestions for your wife if you really don't want to leave her behind or to get her interested in going with you.. .

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
295 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bed and breakfast

Another thought is the Farnsworth House. They offer a ton of Ghost type tours and hunts. They have mixed reviews but when we stayed there we had no issues and good service. Plus they are right in town so you can ditch the car and walk to a lot of attractions.

We also have stayed at the James Getty Inn. Very nice place and also in town.

Also I am female and love Gettysburg. The area is beautiful and peaceful the military park is amazing and there are so many shops to visit as well. I bet your wife would actually love it! Get a visitors guide from Gettyburgcvb.org and show her what is there.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 18:33
Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bed and breakfast

There are a number of places both in and out of town to stay. Depends on what your fancy is. Visit Gettysburggerry.com to see things to do, hotels, motels, things the locals do, restaurants. I love Gettysburg and it is my pleasure to promote it. Feel free to contact me for more detailed information if you like. I am not a travel agency, just someone who lives here and loves promoting the Gettysburg Adams County area.

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bed and breakfast

My two favorites are Gaslight Inn on Middle Street and Brickhouse Inn on Baltimore Street. Both are run really well and have excellent owners. The Gaslight is a one-block walk from the center of town and with a bunch of restaurants in an easy walk. They arranged a battlefield guide for us as well, the tour was superb. Brickhouse is also conveniently located. Now if you're looking for an Inn with a Civil War heritage, I think the Gaslight Inn may be a bit post-war - you might want to check. Brickhouse Inn has two buildings, one of which was there in 1863 - at the bottom of Cemetery Hill. There are also several other B&Bs I have heard good things about but these are the two I have experience with.

10. Re: Bed and breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg