We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a Few Suggestions

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a Few Suggestions

I have been reading recent forum posts, top questions (excellent), and attraction reviews because we are planning our first visit during September to Gettysburg. Husband likes history, museums, ghost stories. Our travel dates are flexible and we prefer to not visit during a special event in order to avoid extra crowded conditions. Planning 1 1/2-2 days during mid week in 3rd or 4h week this month; anything out of the ordinary going on then that we should avoid?

Thanks to the helpful information on your pages, we plan to reserve a Licensed Battlefield Guide and see Spiritual Museum, GB Museum of History, Cyclorama. Would prefer interesting and somewhat historical (exaggerated OK) ghost tour so leaning toward Jennie Wade House, Farnsworth House, Mark Nesbitt, and GB Ghost Tours. I'll try to narrow it down more but if anyone has a ghost suggestion or other favorite attraction, please share. Thank you!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a Few Suggestions

Mid week you should be fine. You can see the events listed by date on the calendar option here on the offical Visitors site http://www.gettysburg.travel/

There is a bridge closed on Rt 116 going from Rt 15 to Gettysburg, but there are plenty of other roads leading into town, so that should not affect your travels.

If you like wine, check out Hauser's Estate Winery on Rt 234 and Adams County Winery off Rt 30 just outside of town, near Cashtown. We really like doing the Segway tour of the Battlefield, easy to learn and a great staff. The cemetery is also worthwile as is the Luthern Seminary area on the west side of town.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a Few Suggestions

Thanks so much for the tips. Another question....I would prefer to stay in town but would like something between the Best Western Plus or Federal Pointe and Budget Host in price and amenities. If we don't stay in town and need to drive to museums, ghost tour etc, are there public parking areas, street parking, or do most places have their own? Thanks again for all the useful information.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a Few Suggestions

The Federal Pointe Inn looks great. Most places have some parking, usually in the back if they are on the main streets. There is metered street parking all around town and a large garage off the square behind the Gettysburg Hotel that is somewhat cheaper than the meters. You can also catch the FREE trolley (bus) in town if you find the distance is more that you wanted to walk, or the weather isn't great. Here's their info and route: http://www.ridethetrolley.com/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a Few Suggestions

The Shriver House Museum is also a great informative museum, one of our favorites......

www.shriverhouse.org

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a Few Suggestions

Mike, Thanks for the additional information about parking and getting around GB.

larilu, I checked out Shriver House Museum and it sounds great, we'll put it on our list, thanks.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
89 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a Few Suggestions

There is also metered parking on the street in the intersection of High street and Baltimore st. by the library.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a Few Suggestions

teresa3000, Thanks for the parking tip.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a Few Suggestions

There's metered parking on every street near the center of town, until 8pm daily, except Sunday. The borough of Gettysburg will ticket you without fail, they like to make sure they get their $$$.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,584 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a Few Suggestions

The Dobbin House Restaurant was very good and shouldn't be as busy through the week. We were there over Labor Day weekend, and it was fairly crowded. The Sunset Ice Cream Parlor was fun also.

All of the attraction suggestions above are great. We stayed in the Comfort Suites right outside of town. I have a recent review under my profile on this site if you'd like to take a look.

Have a great time!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a Few Suggestions

Mike, thanks for the heads up about parking limits and enforcement.

slr...., I appreciate your suggestions and read your detailed Comfort Inn review. Our trip is delayed but we hope to make it soon. Thanks again to everyone for great information and ideas.