We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

I am planning a family trip to Gettysburg. We will be first time visitors. I am a bit overwhelmed because their seems to be a lot to do. If anyone can answers some of the questions I have it would be extremely helpful and appreciated!

1. We prefer staying at chain hotels when we travel so which ones are close to the attractions/nicest to stay at?

2. Are attractions within walking distance or spread out wherein you need to drive to different locations?

3. How many public parking spots?

4. Any can't miss experiences?

Thanks fellow travelers

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

When are you planning on visiting? This summer will be very busy for the 150th Anniversary.

Check out the hotel reviews here on TA. You can use the map feature to see which hotels are located where. The larger hotels are outside of town, the Wyndham is a very nice property. Smaller property's are in town, with the exception of the Gettysburg Hotel on the square. Reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60798-Gettysburg_Pen…

You'll need to drive to the Visitors Center and the entire Battlefield.

There is public parking in town, on the street and also a parking garage behind the Gettysburg Hotel.

Ghost tours are popular, you can Segway, rent bikes or horses, take a carriage ride.

Things to do: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60798-Gettysburg_Pen…

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

Sorry, try this link for Things to do: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60798-Activitie…

There are also a couple of wineries close by, with tasting rooms in town and usually some special events on the weekends.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

One Gettysburg attraction, not related to the Civil War, that I seldom see mentioned that we really enjoyed was the Eisenhower National Historic Site. You purchase your tickets at the Gettysburg National Military Park Visitor Center and Museum and then ride a shuttle bus to the site.

http://www.nps.gov/eise/index.htm

NE PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

Depending on which hotel you stay at, some of the battlefield is within walking distance, some it is better to drive to. I like the Quality Inn on Steinwehr, many places in town within walking distance as well as parts of the Battlefield and National Cemetery. The Quality Inn at General Lee's headquarters is on the edge of the first day's battlefield, but pretty far from everything else. There are many parking and pull off areas on the park roads where you can park and walk. In town parking can be a bit dicey at times, there is the parking garage already mentioned. There is also a trolley like bus that you can take to the Visitors center and other parts of the town.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

Excellent point on the trolley bus, it is FREE!

rabbittransit.org/Schedules/FreedomTransit.a…

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

My kids love to walk up to the top of the Pennsylvania Monument. Great view and there is something about it that is neat for kids.

gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/PA/PaMon.php

We also enjoy taking evening trips to the Peace Light Memorial. Lovely views at sunset!

gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/Other/Peace.php

Caledonia State Park, about 30 minutes west of Gettysburg, is a shady, pleasant park with an interesting Civil War history. The Charcoal Hearth Trail really explains the iron industry in the area.

…state.pa.us/stateparks/…index.htm

If you are driving from Ohio and taking Rt. 30 over from Breezewood, you will go right by Caledonia.

And...avoid dinner disappointment! Recently we have foolishly decided to eat out on Saturday or Sunday evenings, only to find long waits. If there is a restaurant that you want to visit, be sure to arrive for an early dinner (by 5 usually works) or make reservations. This is going to be a very busy year.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

years ago, while traveling with my sisters, we stopped at a store selling women's period clothing and had fun getting all decked out in period clothing....petticoat and all. My sister did end up buying and entire outfit.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
295 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

There are a few decent chain motels within walking distance to a lot of shops and parts of the battlefield. We had good luck at America's Best Value inn and Quality Inn on Steinwehr. There is also a Howard Johnsons in the same area.

As far as "must dos" - I would recommend a trip to the visitors center. There is a great museum and the cyclorama is housed there as well. I would also visit the Shriver House and Sachs covered bridge.

In town you spend a lot of time walking to the shops and museums. Plus there are many restaurants and Ghost walks. The cemetery is right in town as well.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
295 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

There are a few decent chain motels within walking distance to a lot of shops and parts of the battlefield. We had good luck at America's Best Value inn and Quality Inn on Steinwehr. There is also a Howard Johnsons in the same area.

As far as "must dos" - I would recommend a trip to the visitors center. There is a great museum and the cyclorama is housed there as well. I would also visit the Shriver House and Sachs covered bridge.

In town you spend a lot of time walking to the shops and museums. Plus there are many restaurants and Ghost walks. The cemetery is right in town as well.

Shoreline,wa
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time visitor to Gettysburg:HELP

Is the town and battle field doable with out a car?. I to I am planning a first time solo trip this Oct. I am trying to do this with out a car, is the public transportation able to get around?