We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Segway tour and visitor center orientation

Ohio
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Topic
Segway tour and visitor center orientation

Planning our first trip to Gettysburg this June. Any advise on how to coordinate the Segway batttlefield tour with the visitor center and Cyclorama? Seems like we should get an overview of the battle before taking the tour to specific locations...? (Not very knowledgable about Battle of Gettysburg) We are arriving on Monday, leaving on Wednesday. Was planning the Segway tour for Tuesday. should we try to get through the visitor center BEFORE the Segway tour?

Segway Tours of Gettysburg (SegTours, LLC)
Segway Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
History Nerds Battlefield & Education Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Bus Tours
Victorian Carriage Company
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours
gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Segway tour and visitor center orientation

The Visitor Center will be open until 6 in June, and the battlefield grounds are open until 10. Depending on when you get into town, it might work well to plan to visit on Monday afternoon/evening. Last year, weekday later afternoons often were less crowded than midday. (But who knows for this year?) It might be nice to tour the Visitor Center and then explore a bit. Evening on the battlefield is lovely, especially up at the Peace Light Memorial.

However, it seems as if one of the Segway tours is more geared to new visitors, and I'm sure that they will explain things if needed. The advantage of doing it Segway tour/Visitor Center is that you will probably have lots of new questions after the tour, and you can go to the Visitor Center to find out more.

The Civil War Trust has a free app that you can use at the battlefield, or to preview places ahead of time:

http://www.civilwar.org/battleapps/

Make sure that you make reservations for everything that you want to do, well ahead of time! :)

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Segway tour and visitor center orientation

We've done the Segway tour several times, once with a Licensed Battlefield Guide, which was much more infomrative than the pre recorded tour they use. I would do several things prior to your Segway. Rent the movie "Gettysburg", it will give you an overview of the Battle, take in the visitors center, movie presentation and cyclorama, then do your tour. You can also get the self guided tour information from the visitors center and return at your own pace.

Ohio
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Segway tour and visitor center orientation

Thank you both. I will take both of your suggestions. Looking for the app right now LOL and we had already planned to watching both Gettysburg and Lincoln before we came. PLUS, I just added an extra day to our stay! now easier to get the Visitor Center in before the Segway. Thanks for the help!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Segway tour and visitor center orientation

Definitely educate yourself on the battle (Lincoln while a great movie and highly recommeded but has little to do with Gettysburg). Movie is great idea or also read Killer Angels by Michale Shaara.

Ohio
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Segway tour and visitor center orientation

We are also planning our first trip and appreciate all the information on this forum. There seems to be several vistitor centers though. I have found the National Park Service visitor center and National Military Park and museum. I wanted to get information ahead of time becasue they sometimes list private places to stay that are not advertised here. We want a room within walking distance of most sights but most that are advertised for June are $200 a night.. a little too salty for us. We would like to set up a segway tour as well. Which visitor center is this done at? Thank you so very much for any help.

Ohio
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Segway tour and visitor center orientation

We are also planning our first trip and appreciate all the information on this forum. There seems to be several vistitor centers though. I have found the National Park Service visitor center and National Military Park and museum. I wanted to get information ahead of time becasue they sometimes list private places to stay that are not advertised here. We want a room within walking distance of most sights but most that are advertised for June are $200 a night.. a little too salty for us. We would like to set up a segway tour as well. Which visitor center is this done at? Thank you so very much for any help.

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Segway tour and visitor center orientation

When people say "the Visitor's Center" they are talking about the one at the national park. The national park and the national military park are the same thing. That's where you get the licensed guide or get on the bus to go to the Ike Farm. The VC has a movie, a museum and the cyclorama painting. The VC has a community tour desk that will tell you how to arrange segway and other tours.

There is a privately run "tour center" that is closer to town that runs bus tours.

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Segway tour and visitor center orientation

I always recommend people stay at one of the following hotels on Steinwehr Avenue- Quality Inn Gettysburg Motor Lodge, Americas Best Value Inn, Inn of 1863 (at the intersection of Steinwehr & Baltimore St) or Travelodge. They are close enough to be able to walk to the 2nd and 3rd days' battlefields, the Visitors Center, the Square downtown, and lots of restaurant and shopping options on Steinwehr Avenue. These locations are also far enough away from downtown that you don't have to deal with the congestion and traffic. Enjoy Gettysburg!

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Segway tour and visitor center orientation

How difficult is it to run one of those Segways? Not overly coordinated :(

jc

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Segway tour and visitor center orientation

Shouldn't be too difficult. My dad and I did a Segway tour a couple years ago and neither of us had any problems. They do have a training course you can go through before to make sure you have the hang of it.