We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Weather & Crowd Situation in G'Burg

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
August Weather & Crowd Situation in G'Burg

We have reserved some campsites at Caledonia State Park for the middle of August. (aug 18th thru the 22nd). Friends of ours from Wisconsin will be camping with us and are not fond of huge crowds or super hot temps.

As often as we go to G'Burg.. we have never been there in August. How are the crowds? Just the typical tourist season bunch? What about the weather? I know G'burg can get awfully humid in the summer -- is August pretty bad for that kinda weather? High humidity? Or is it just a crapshoot? :o)

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Weather & Crowd Situation in G'Burg

It's hot here in August. It's humid. Looks like a hot summer brewing this year; it was 93 in some places today, and it's only May.

The busiest time in town is the first week of July. That's when they do the reenactment. Bike Week is pretty busy too, and plenty noisy. That's the second week of July.

By August, most of the crowds are gone. There are still a lot of people wandering about the battlefield, but not near the numbers as July.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: August Weather & Crowd Situation in G'Burg

Crowds won't be a problem, but the heat will be...especially if you're tenting it...RVing it might night be too bad.

new york
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: August Weather & Crowd Situation in G'Burg

we traveled for the first time to gettysburg in august of last year and really could not enjoy it the way we wanted due to the heat and humidity. we wanted to spend most of our time on the battlefields and it was just too hot. we actually went back again over the thanksgiving holiday and had an absolutely wonderful time. the crowds were nonexistent and the weather was crisp and cool. we also just stayed there again on our way to williamsburg this past april the weather was great!

Elizabethville...
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August Weather & Crowd Situation in G'Burg

Three words about the weather in August: Hot, Humid & Buggy! If you still come to see the Battlefields during this time of year and plan to hoof it through the sites, bring plenty of drinking water. If you want better temps you are probably better off coming to Gettysburg in late September or early October (when the foliage starts turning).

Stafford Springs
Level Contributor
27 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August Weather & Crowd Situation in G'Burg

Went to Gettysburg last August as well. Plenty hot! We still enjoyed it as the crowds were very low (except dining) We bought the CD tour and went through in our car. We did this several times throughout our visit, stopping and checking out different aspects of the Battlefields. This helped us combat the heat. Lots of water in the car, and we tended to do some in the AM, chilled for a bit around the lunch time hours (shopping....nice tall cold one maybe-you are on vacation!) and then went back out later in the day.

Frankly though, camping in that heat is going to be rough. I mean it was in the mid 90's everyday we were there.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: August Weather & Crowd Situation in G'Burg

Today's weather reminds me of how hot and muggy it can be around here and makes me think that tenting out in August would be a mistake.

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: August Weather & Crowd Situation in G'Burg

Thanks for everyone's input! Like I said we live near Gettysburg (2 hrs north) and we visit there quite often.. it's our "second home". But we tend to not visit thru-out the summer months -- we visit alot thru the Spring and esp during September thru November, which is our fav time to be there. Maybe a day trip one or two days thru the summer.. if at all. We've never been there in August and are aware the weather can be quite brutal. However.. this trip we have planned is more for our friend's sake -- who are coming from Wisconsin and those are the only dates they can be here (Aug 18th thru 23rd) -- and this is where they want to go, etc. So not much we can do about it. Our kids really mind the heat and my friend is constantly asking how bad it'll be when they come out here to visit. I keep telling her it'll most likely be HOT and HUMID. (hee-hee)

Our "lodging" will be camping at Caledonia State Park and sightseeing with them around the area (Hershey, harrisburg, Gettysburg, Baltimore Inner Harbor) However.. we will NOT be tenting it -- we have an air conditioned pop-up camper and they have a air conditioned travel trailer -- so it may be uncomfy, but we have that A/C "luxury" if we need it.

If anyone cares to know -- I'll let ya know how we made out after all is said and done! Hopefully we'll brave what Mother Nature has planned for us.

The only other thing that concerns ME is Thunderstorms? I am afraid to be out in one, in a camper, under trees, if a storm hits during our stay. How likey are thunderstorms that time of year? Are they bad in that area? Where we live is in a valley -- and the t-storms we get (if any) kinda blow right over us.. never really HIT us here. But I've heard they can get pretty nasty in the G'Burg area... Any thoughts on this?

8. Re: August Weather & Crowd Situation in G'Burg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 03:15