We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle from museum and meeting spot

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle from museum and meeting spot

We are going to go to thenmuseum then DH and 3 children are going on the 2 hour private tour with guide in car.

I thought I would go to the main shopping area look at some shops and have lunch - after 2 weeks 24/7 with the family a little break will be nice.

Is there a shuttle from the museum it did say there was on the site but the link didn't work. Where would I get off?

Not sure if both DH and I will have phones so what would be a good meeting spot to prearrange?

Any shops , cafes recommended. I don't really want to buy anything specific just look around.

Thanks

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle from museum and meeting spot

Hello! Here is the link to the bus service website:

rabbittransit.org/Schedules/FreedomTransit.a…

The Lincoln Line serves the Visitors Center, the Outlets, and the downtown area. There are two possible shopping areas for you. The Outlets are to the south of town with lots of chain stores like Old Navy, Gap, Gymboree, and the like. There is a small food court and a coffee shop. It's great for everyday functional shopping.

In town, there are a number of souvenir shops. If you exit the bus at the Transit Center, you can walk to the square. Gallery 30 (on 30 East) is nice for browsing, as is Pages from the Past on Baltimore St. Lots of little coffee shops around--we like the Ragged Edge (Washington St. and 30 W) and the Ugly Mug (Carlisle St). If you are looking for a nice walk, try going north from the Transit Center to walk around the Gettysburg College campus. Lovely buildings and shaded paths--we like to walk there on summer afternoons. In the other direction, it's pleasant to walk south from the square toward Steinwehr Ave. Steinwehr is a little busier with souvenir shops and tourists and we often walk down there to get ice cream after the library or market.

A good meeting spot depends on where you'd like to walk. The Transit Center or the Square might work well. Generally things are a little less crowded on the north end of the square, even on busy Saturdays.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Carlisle
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle from museum and meeting spot

Thanks I am definatly not wanting outlet shopping just a nice walk around town and a coffee shop and a few souvenier shops sounds fine.

It will be a Tuesday. If I tell DH to meet me on the North side of Lincoln square will that be obvious then Is there a shop or a land mark we could easily find

I am having visions of being lost in America without my family. I know people have been meeting up for 100's of years with no problems but it will be strange to be without a phone on our trip.

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle from museum and meeting spot

The trolley is free and you can board at the visitor's center. It will drop you off anywhere along the route if you ask. If you want a landmark, use the Tour Center. It's the first building on the right coming into town on Baltimore St from the Visitor's Center. Has benches out front to sit and watch people. From there the souvenir shops on Steinwehr Ave are just a block or so. From the Tour Center if you continue out Baltimore St you will reach the square; it's about a 12 minute walk with shops on the way.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle from museum and meeting spot

The square is small, you can see from one corner to the other. Meet at the David Wills house, there is a statue of Lincoln right outside the building and park benches to wait. http://www.davidwillshouse.org/

Mentioned in this post
David Wills House
David Wills House
326 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle from museum and meeting spot

Thanks so much. I just looked on Google maps drove around the square and even saw the bench I can wait on - technology is amazing

Driving around that square will be a good test for DH as its the wrong side of the road for us. I had better get him to practise on Google maps also!!!

6. Re: Shuttle from museum and meeting spot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 05:16