We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Battlefield tour guide.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Battlefield tour guide.

Since I have done the bus tour twice, I was thinking of hiring a guide to go around with us in my car for something different.

Does anyone know if these are good tours? worth the money?

Thanks

Confederate Trails of Gettysburg
Horseback Riding Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Battlefields
East Cavalry Battlefield
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Battlefields, Monuments & Statues
Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Battlefield tour guide.

All of the guides are licensed and take a rigorous exam, so they know pretty much every inch of the battlefield. If you have kids, you can ask for a guide who is good with kids, and they will take you over to the cannons and let you pretend to fire them.

Let your guide know what you'd like to focus on, and they can tailor your tour to your interests. I've been on several, and each has been different. I think they're worth the money.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Battlefield tour guide.

Hey! I'm 53 and I want to pretend to shoot the cannons!

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Battlefield tour guide.

Then ask your guide to set up your party as a cannon team. They will go through the whole procedure with you; it's actually pretty funny when grownups are pretending to lug ammo around and use an invisible ramrod.

I was out on the battlefield this morning; it's a little muddy in some areas but otherwise fine.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Battlefield tour guide.

We just did another one a few days ago as we have guests in town. It's a two hour plus tour for $45. They'll drive your car for you and as mentioned, they'll tailor it to your interests or you can get the general overview. Just to keep the cost value in perspective, most of the buses cost about $30 per person and you share a bus with about 49 other people. Doing the licensed guide tour is worth the cost and is really wonderful. That's one of the must do's when we have guests in town. I've been on about 5 of them and I learn something new each time as each guide as their own personal twists and interests.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Battlefield tour guide.

Where do you hire these guides?

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Battlefield tour guide.

At the visitor's center on Taneytown Road. That's where most people start their tour. There's also a large museum in the building and the electric map, which is an explanation of the 3-day battle.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Battlefield tour guide.

They are first come first served, so I would get there as soon as you can the morning of the day you want to take the tour, especially this time of year. I had to go out there at 9:00 a.m. to get a 1:30 p.m. tour when we had a family in town two weeks ago.

Plainville...
Level Contributor
31 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Battlefield tour guide.

These tour guides work on the weekends I assume, right?

I'm looking to get one of them on a Saturday in August - can you reserve them in advance?

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Battlefield tour guide.

Yes they work weekends. According to the GNMP website, you can request in advance.

Eastern National Parks and Monuments

97 Taneytown Road

Gettysburg PA 17325

PH: (877) 438-8929 (Toll Free)

PH: (717) 334-4474 (Local)

Fax: (717) 334-1543

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Battlefield tour guide.

I believe you have to request a guide 7-10 days ahead, otherwise it's first come first served the day of your tour.