We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendation for big group in Gettysburg

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurant Recommendation for big group in Gettysburg

Hi everyone,

We are heading to Gettysburg in August for a day and plan to see the battlefields in the morning and then the Rupp House in the afternoon. I am wondering about some good places for lunch and dinner for a large group (4 families - adults and children). Any recommendations? Any other ideas on what we could do?

Maryland
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for big group in Gettysburg

A few more questions: is the reenactment only done once/year? Does anyone know about the junior ranger program at the battlefields? Where do we get the materials, etc? Would For The Glory be good for kids as young as 6? or only older kids/adults?

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for big group in Gettysburg

General Pickett's buffet takes reservations for large groups. Some people like it; some don't. There is also a steakhouse with salad bar on 30 east of town called Hoss's. They seem to cater to families. They also have a private area where they can put a large group. On Steinwehr Avenue next to McDonalds is the Mayflowers, which is an Asian/American place. Buffet or menu. Very good food.

For the kids, go see Boyd's Bears. It's a huge store full of plush animals and resin stuff. www.boydsbearcountry.com

For the Glory is a good show; I don't know if a 6 year old would enjoy a lot of just singing....depends how mature the child is.

I saw Fields of Freedom last night; that is a movie that is supposed to start off your tour. I think it's too gruesome for young kids. I knew it was a war movie, but they didn't try to sanitize it at all; it's pretty gory.

With 4 families, you may want to ride the bus tour from the visitor center. Ask for a guide who is good with kids.

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for big group in Gettysburg

The Junior Ranger program info can be picked up at the Visitor's Center on Taneytown Road. That's where most people start their tours anyway, and where you can hire a licensed guide. There's also a nice museum in the building, along with the Electric Map. The Cyclorama (near life-size battlefield painting) is closed for renovation.

Schriver House museum is also nice, although a little pricey.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for big group in Gettysburg

To add to what Imalocal posted, and to address one of your unanswered questions, the renactment is only done once a year and has passed. As far as restaraunts, I would also recommend some good local places like Tommie's Pizza and The Pike (good for lunch with kids, becomes a bar scene at night).

5. Re: Restaurant Recommendation for big group in Gettysburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 00:16