We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

battlefield best tours, etc

Arlington Heights...
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
battlefield best tours, etc

i have 3 kids ages 16-8

heading there late summer

is it a good idea to take a tour by yourself or is a guided one better? we want to get out and look too - we are history nerds ( thanks to pickers and pawn stars for my kids enthusiasm, yeah me! )

also, I understand that you can take an evening tour/drive thru the battleground ghost hunting..

and one more.... how many days to tour the city and battlegrounds?

Thanks Much!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: battlefield best tours, etc

I don't think there is a best for everyone. I have been dozens of times and never took a bus tour but frequently will listen in on a park guide tour that we may pass. It comes down to time, money, depth of knowledge you want, and prior familiarity you have with battle. A licenced guide can't hurt.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: battlefield best tours, etc

I would start your trip with a private tour in your own car, with a Licensed Tour Guide at/from the visitors center. The kids will love it! The guides are highly trained professionals and adjust the tour to your likes/dislikes, you will stop and get out along the way at the key points. After the tour/visitors center you will then be able to plan much better., where and what you want to go back and explore. Most people then do a self guided audio tour. The one sold at the visitors center, in my opinion is the best! IMPORTANT~ Make sure you make a reservation well in advance for a tour guide! ENJOY!

gettysburgfoundation.org/18/…TICKETS

NE PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: battlefield best tours, etc

I always go for at least three days, and it seems rushed at that. Of course depending on what you want to see your experience may differ. Even if you do the guided tour, you will want to go back to some areas that interest you and spend some time exploring. Can't help much with the ghost thing, but there are a bunch of ghost tours and what not.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: battlefield best tours, etc

The battlefield basically encircles the town, and many roads cross through and across it. The park maintained roads and grounds are open until 7 pm in the winter and 10 pm in the summer. The hours and speed limit are strictly enforced.

The Peace Light Memorial is a nice place for an evening walk, as is the area around the Seminary.

5. Re: battlefield best tours, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:23