We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Battlefield Carriage Tours

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Battlefield Carriage Tours

Hello:

I actually have two questions ~ Has anyone taken the horse and carriage tour? If so, what's that like? Can you get out and walk around or are we in the buggy the whole time?

My second question is, if I decide to tour on my own, can I really walk ON the battlefield? Like up to Pickets Charge, etc.? Do we have that freedom, or do we need to stay on certain paths?

I took a bus trip last time and it was okay, I liked it, but I'd like to see the battleground in more detail and take a little personal time to contemplate what occurred there.

jc

NE PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Battlefield Carriage Tours

I only did a carriage tour once and it was long ago, at that time you stayed in the carriage and the guide talked about what went on. You definitely can walk the battlefield. Some areas are restricted to walking on paths, but they will be clearly marked.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Battlefield Carriage Tours

Our first trip there caught us off guard. Really didn't expect it to be so spread out and didn't allow enough time .We bought a tape (yes it was a long time ago) that explained the battle as you drove through the park. You were free to stop the tape and get out anyplace you wanted. We only figured a day for Gettysburg and missed a lot.

Few years ago we made another trip. Two days this time. Did a bus tour The tours really depend on the guide. We were lucky to have one with a great personality and sense of humor. Very informative and enjoyable.

After the bus tour we went back around the park to revisit the places that really grabbed our attention. Can't think of anyplace we weren't allowed to walk. We walked out of the trees from Seminary Ridge and onto the field. Too far to try and cross the entire field. Not sure if they would allow that anyway. Same with the rock fence on Cemetery Ridge and the rocks at Devil's Den. Amazing to be standing there after years of seeing pictures of those locations taken 150 years ago.

I don't know how long it's been since your last trip but few years ago they started large project to bring the park back to what it was the day of the battle. Our first trip you couldn't see Devil's Den from up on the hill. Last trip the trees had been removed and the view was exactly like all the old pictures.

I highly recommend a ghost tour in the evening if your schedule allows it. The new visitor's center opened a few years ago. Unbelievable. Can burn an entire afternoon just seeing everything in there.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Battlefield Carriage Tours

Thank you for that valuable information. I went a year ago, for one day only, and took the bus trip. Then I went into town and just simply did not have time to explore the battlefield. Since then, I have been reading like a fiend, and I really want to go back and spend some quality time reflecting on the events that happened there. Maybe my own self-guided tour can accomplish that, and then later during the week, I can take the carriage tour or a segway tour to hit what I missed.

I would definitely like to walk to the wall from Picket's Charge.

I guess my first stop will be the visitor center in town, then? Is that the visitor center you're mean? I am fortunate in that this trip I will have a full week to explore Gettysburg and surrounding areas. A ghost tour is on the agenda. Which one did you go to, if you recall? I don't want to be scared out of my wits ~

Again, thanks for the info!

jc

Edited: 05 April 2014, 17:29
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Battlefield Carriage Tours

The visitor's center I'm talking about is over behind Cemetery Ridge on Baltimore Pike. I spent three hours in there just going over displays and museum. So much to see and read. Didn't even make into films or cyclorama(sp?) Wife started texting from outside so had to cut my time in there short.

gettysburgfoundation.org/10/getty-museum-and…

Did stop at one of the local museums to kill time. It was OK but if I get to go again I'll save that time and money and spend extra at the big visitor center.

Can't remember exactly which tour company we went with but the tour was along Seminary Ridge at the school. Met in parking lot off Chambersburg Road across from Lee's Headquarters. First stories were about ghosts from first day of battle. They walked around the old school buildings that had been used as hospitals.

Ghost stories usually don't get to me but being there on site the stories have bit more kick. We left there after the tour and drove along Seminary Ridge in the dark. Not the smartest thing to do after a ghost tour.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Battlefield Carriage Tours

nps.gov/gett/photosmultimedia/multimedia.htm

Came across this. Might download a tour and use on your self guided tour.

With a week to play with you might spend a day or two traveling to the south. You'r not that far from Sharpsburg/Antietam Battlefield and Harpers Ferry in WV where it all began.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Battlefield Carriage Tours

Thanks Pop! I am thinking of a ghost tour but I'm staying by myself and I don't know that I want to get scared being by myself. I agree, driving around the battle ground at night after a ghost tour could be daunting!

I'll check out that link you gave me. I do plan on going to Harpers Ferry and Antietam, both in the same day. It'll be my one day outside of Gettysburg.

Again, thanks so much for your info :)

jc

Williamston...
Level Contributor
827 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Battlefield Carriage Tours

You certainly can walk on the battlefield for the most part. To do Pickett's Charge, I would start at the Virginia Memorial. They do advise to watch out for ticks, but I didn't encounter any. At Devil's Den, you can climb on the rocks as much as you dare. On Little Round Top, you should probably stick to the walking paths.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Battlefield Carriage Tours

Thank you ~ are ticks always present? I'll be there in the fall.

jc

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Battlefield Carriage Tours

Hi

Please careful of ticks. We were not aware of them and when we were there in the fall in 2012 my husband had one on his arm. Yuck. Last spring we were there for a week and he ended up with two of them and I had one on my leg and my grand daughter had one as well. We are going to be much more careful this spring. Think long pants and closed toe shoes when you are hiking the fields and also some repellant!

That said - Gettysburg is my favorite place! Be sure to check out the Shriver House. It is a tour of a house and tells the story of civilian life during the battle. It was awesome! If you decide to do a ghost tour the Ghostly Images tours are great. We did several of them over the years and enjoyed them all. (They were spooky but not overly scary) Also the Ghosts of Gettysburg does a good tour.

For food I suggest the Hunts Battlefield Fries for lunch! Delicious! Also The Dobbin house for dinner.

If you have any questions message me and I would be happy to answer any questions. We go to Gettysburg at least once a year.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Battlefield Carriage Tours

Hi

Please careful of ticks. We were not aware of them and when we were there in the fall in 2012 my husband had one on his arm. Yuck. Last spring we were there for a week and he ended up with two of them and I had one on my leg and my grand daughter had one as well. We are going to be much more careful this spring. Think long pants and closed toe shoes when you are hiking the fields and also some repellant!

That said - Gettysburg is my favorite place! Be sure to check out the Shriver House. It is a tour of a house and tells the story of civilian life during the battle. It was awesome! If you decide to do a ghost tour the Ghostly Images tours are great. We did several of them over the years and enjoyed them all. (They were spooky but not overly scary) Also the Ghosts of Gettysburg does a good tour.

For food I suggest the Hunts Battlefield Fries for lunch! Delicious! Also The Dobbin house for dinner.

If you have any questions message me and I would be happy to answer any questions. We go to Gettysburg at least once a year.