We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day Trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam

Hello :)

I will be staying in Gettysburg for a week in the fall. I am planning a one day trip to visit Antietam and Harpers Ferry. Which, in your opinion, would be best to visit first? I'm trying to get the most time available at both places. Is Harpers Ferry open longer than Antietam? And would I also be able to see a little bit of Frederick as well? I believe it's on the way to Harper's Ferry.

I know these places aren't even in Gettysburg, but they are close enough for day trips. If you think I should go to the Maryland and West Virginia forums, please so advise.

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.

jc

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam

You can certainly hit both in one day but each deserve a day by themselves. Frederick is on a straight line between

HF and GB. Definitely worth stopping for dinner as it has a large number of excellent restaurants of all types worth visiting as well as having a great downtown to walk around. It is about a 3 hour loop if you do this in one day.

http://mapq.st/1nxT5GZ

Both have same hours but HF does have more commercial activity since it is a town and not just a battle field.

If you had to do one day, then Antietam, late lunch in HF and dinner in Frederick and back to GB.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam

Perfect! Thank you. I was wondering how to make the best use of my time. I will be at Antietam as soon as it opens, and then head down to Harpers Ferry for lunch, and then Frederick for dinner. I will be staying in Gettysburg, so if I want to come back, I can. But I really want to stay close to Gettysburg.

jc

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam

And how nice, you figured a map for me! Thanks so much :)

jc

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam

Great route suggestion! There is another little battlefield in Frederick if you are interested:

www.nps.gov/mono/planyourvisit/index.htm

The Visitor Center does a nice job of interpreting the battle. There are interesting walking trails around the battlefield. Hours aren't listed on the brochures, but I imagine they are dawn-dusk.

nps.gov/mono/planyourvisit/foot_trails.htm

Frederick has great dinner choices and a nice, walkable downtown.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam

Thank you! I had not heard of this battle. I am taking a CW trip so hopefully I will have time to stop in. Thanks so much!

jc

Newark, Delaware
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam

Hello,

We have gone to G burg once or twice a year from Newark De for about 12 years now. Our next visit is in October 2014. We did take a day trip from G burg to Harpers Ferry. It took an hour and was an easy trip, all main roads. I asked about Antietam and the reply was that it was 30 minutes down the road. We decided to spend the rest of the day in HF. Theres not much in Hf, but its an interesting visit.

Hope this was at least amuzing.

John Nahodil

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam

Note that for Harper's Ferry it isn't necessary to park at the Visitor's Center and take their shuttle. There is parking right in the town which is along site the Historical site.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam

Thanks! Good to know. I'm definitely going :)

jc

9. Re: Day Trip to Harpers Ferry and Antietam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 07:15