We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington, D.C. - Gettysburg - Corning

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Washington, D.C. - Gettysburg - Corning

My family and I 8( mum dad and 15 & 18 year pld girls) are on a road trip from the UK.. We will be travelling from Washington DC to Corning and have an hour or so which we would like to spend around Gettysburg Any suggestion on how best to use our time to get a better understanding of the area and its history

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington, D.C. - Gettysburg - Corning

Wow ... with only an hour or so for Gettysburg, it's going to be hard to really get much out of it. About all you'd probably have time for might be a visit to the visitor's center. Gettysburg itself is a fairly large battlefield requiring several hours to traverse by vehicle with stops at various sites. Battlefield locations such as the Copse of Trees, Little Round Top and Devils Den are the highlight locations for the battlefield tour with much action having been focused around those areas, but without the context of the battle which you would get at the visitor's center, you won't understand the significance.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington, D.C. - Gettysburg - Corning

hanks for the promt reply

An hours not ideal! but given we were passing through I thought it a shame not to try and spend some time, there - the visitor centre sounds good, and next time we are in the USA I will probably need to plan my schedule better.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington, D.C. - Gettysburg - Corning

The drive to Corning from Washington is about 5 hours with Gettysburg about an hour and half of that drive. Perhaps plan an early start to the day, get to the visitor's center right when it opens, do a quick tour of the battlefield finishing up mid-afternoon, and then drive to Corning planning on a stop somewhere around Williamsport (about a little of 2 hours from Gettysburg) for some dinner before continuing the last hour to hour and half to Corning?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington, D.C. - Gettysburg - Corning

I think with that little time, skip the visitor center, head up to the PA monument. get out walk around and just contemplate what occurred there. that area is cemetary ridge which is close to the "high water mark" of Pickett's Charge. The really only outstanding identifiable natural feature of the battlefield to me is Devil's Den which is right below Little Round top. You can cover these couple of areas in 2 hours easy. It is not perfect but better than skipping.

5. Re: Washington, D.C. - Gettysburg - Corning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 07:15