We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Gettysburg this weekend--need help!

WV
Level Contributor
60 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Gettysburg this weekend--need help!

My hubby and I just decided to take a spur of the moment trip to Gettysburg this weekend. This will be our first trip there, we should arrive Saturday morning and we will spend one night. We will have our 12 year old son with us, who loves war history! How will the crowds be this Saturday (Oct 7)?

Where should we stay? I would prefer not to spend over $125 for one night. Where should we eat? Will touring the battlefield take all day on Saturday? Is there anything else that is a must do on our short trip?

Any tips would be appeciated! Thank-you.

Confederate Trails of Gettysburg
Horseback Riding Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Battlefields
East Cavalry Battlefield
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Battlefields, Monuments & Statues
Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Gettysburg this weekend--need help!

Lots of questions, but I'll do my best. I'm not sure how packed hotels will be. Tourist season is not as busy now as it is in the summer but with it being Apple Harvest Festival weekend the next two weekends, there might be some other weekend tourists like yourselves, but not too many. Picking a place to stay really depends on what kind of experience you want to have. If you want to be on the square and stay in a historic hotel, then you should choose the Gettysburg Hotel ($100-$150 a night, depending). If you want to be down near the site of the second and third days of the battle, which is of course where Picketts charge happened, then I'd choose the Colton Motel, or the Holiday Inn. If you don't want to be in town at all and want to stay at a newer place, there's a Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard Marriott, and a Wyndham all from 2-3 miles out of downtown that would probably be around $100 a night. I'd stay in town though if I were you. Some of my favorite restaraunts are the tavern in the basement of the Dobbin House, the Pub on the square, and the Blue Parrot. You should definitely go norht of town to see the orchards and I'd do a ghost tour if I were you. You can do an earlier one so it's lighter out and not too scary for you child. I'm a big fan of Mark Nesbitt's Ghosts of Gettysburg tours and I'd take the Carlisle Street/Campus Tour.

WV
Level Contributor
60 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Gettysburg this weekend--need help!

Tiger72, thanks so much for all the info! You were very helpful. My son would love the ghost tour---he and I love that kind of stuff and hubby will tolerate it for us!!!

Can't wait to see Gettysburg! We've wanted to go for years now, but wanted to wait until our son was old enough to enjoy it!

Steubenville, Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Gettysburg this weekend--need help!

I agree with the other reviewer about doing the ghost tours. We've been to Gettysburg twice and have done numerous ghost tours. The Mark Nesbitt tours are very good. Even if your husband is not into the ghost tours it is still enjoyable because along with the ghost stories you learn a little history and get some explanations about different sites. We also enjoy the Blue Parrott Bistro. Both times we had dinner there, the food was very good.. Last visit to Gettysburg was the week-end of Sept. 23rd. If you like Italian, especially pizza, Mama Ventura's was good. Gettysburg is a very interesting and fun place to visit. Enjoy your stay. Also, my son is 11 and enjoys Gettysburg. On our first visit to Gettysburg, we took a battlefield tour with a licensed park ranger ( you can do this through the tour center) that was very good and a wealth of information). Have fun.

Steubenville, Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Gettysburg this weekend--need help!

I mentioned the Licenced Park rangers as a guide to the battlefields. I'm not sure if they are licensed park rangers or licensed battlefield guides. Just wanted to clarify that statement. Thanks.

Taylor Pa
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Gettysburg this weekend--need help!

Our daughter lives in Gettysburg on the Square so we've been there quite a few times in the last year and a half. Definetly try and get to Mama Ventura's - very good pizza, calamari, dinners are very reasonable and service is very good also. For breakfast, try the Avenue Diner at the split in the road across from the Holiday Inn (on Baltimore Street) - exceptionally reasonable prices, very nice breakfast menu and the servers are wonderfully accommodating.

The Pub on the Square is also very nice, good food, filling portions.

Their chowder is excellent!

I would stay away from the Lincoln Diner-we found food to be just ok, surley waitress, your better deal is the above mentioned Avenue Diner.

A great place for an upscale dinner is Herr's Tavern. Very good but pricey.

If you can, take the recommended park ranger guided tour on one of the busses. The rangers are very knowledgeable. Bussed fill up fast, so try and buy your tickets ahead of time to get the tour time you want.

The apple festival is fun! If you can, try and go on Sunday.

Hope this helps a little bit!

6. Re: Going to Gettysburg this weekend--need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 03:15