We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purple Olive

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Purple Olive

Has anyone been to the Purple Olive in St Augustine? I heard it has excellent food and the menu looks outstanding! I plan on making a trip down in just a couple of months and was going to plan this as one of my dining spots.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purple Olive

We love the Purple Olive! It isn't much to look at, and is a little confusing to find, but the food is well worth the effort and not outrageously expensive.

Another absolute fav on Anastasia Island is O'Steen's located on A1A just over the bridge of Lions on the right side. Again, nothing to look at, but the line of folks waiting outside the door whenever it's open is testimony to the quality. I think the fried shrimp here are the best I've ever eaten anywhere!

FYI - they are a cash only business.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purple Olive

Hey Joe,

The Purple Olive is excellent. And right down the street is another restaurant (Italian) called La Strada. It, too, is really, really good. We stay at a condo right across the street from the Purple Olive and just a minute from La Strada. I think you'd enjoy them both.

Vicki

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purple Olive

I never been in both restaurants and i live across from purple olive at seaside plaza . Glad you enjoyed both of them while in our area Vickyfloyd

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purple Olive

Thanks, Mehmet! We feel very lucky to be so close to St. Augustine. When we visit, we feel like we've really gone much further away! Our daughter has an art gallery on King Street, and we love going for dinner or just a day of hanging out. We have a few favorite bed and breakfasts there, too.

You live in a great place!

Vicki

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purple Olive

Both are VERY good.

Also Try Cowboys right near by.

As good of Shrimp as you will find.

IF you goto osteens be prepared to wait.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purple Olive

Do you mean Saltwater Cowboys? Yes, it's really great. Owned by the same people that own Creekside. The last time we went to Creekside (maybe three months ago) it was all dark and looked like it was either closed for good or undergoing renovation. It's one of our favorites...does anyone know what's up with them?

Vicki

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purple Olive

Hmm not sure about creek side, but fidler's did close.

8. Re: Purple Olive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 10:19