We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riverside Market and lunch....

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Riverside Market and lunch....

We are going to Jacksonville this Saturday to go to Whole Foods Market. Its not a short drive for us but this if the closest one, which is about 1.5 hrs. I wanted to plan a nice day of shopping, etc before we visit Whole Foods and head home. We are definately going to Riverside Arts Market. Where would be a good place to eat for lunch close by? We don't want anything that cost a fortune but want something maybe a lil different than the norm.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riverside Market and lunch....

13 Gypsies on Stockton Street. Reasonably priced for what you get. Very traditional Spanish tapas, with a twist. You'll eat the best risotto you've ever had there, promise.

Pele's Wood Fire may be a safe bet as well. It's on King Street. Very traditional (again, with a twist) Neapolitan style pizza.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riverside Market and lunch....

Also, Casbah is a great Middle Eastern place down the road from RAM in Avondale. Really good, homemade Lebanese food. Great atmosphere and patio as well.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riverside Market and lunch....

Hi Gator Girl,

Suggest you consider the TreeCup Cafe in the Cummer Museum. You don't have to pay admission to the Museum to eat in the cafe, and you can eat inside or outside with a view of the garden and the St. John's River. The Museum is on Riverside Drive just a couple blocks from the Riverside Arts Market.

http://www.cummer.org/visit/treecup-cafe

You've probably been to the Cummer Museum and Garden, but in case you've forgotten, here's a picture of the garden:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Cummer+Gallery+of+Art,+Jacksonville,+garden&num=10&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=620&tbm=isch&tbnid=ggriuRd0fBEK1M:&imgrefurl=http://www.marriott.com/hotels/photo-tours.mi%3FmarshaCode%3Djaxch%26pageID%3DHWARI%26imageID%3D2&docid=4s3v7HRoazQTfM&imgurl=http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/j/jaxch/phototour/jaxch_phototour11.jpg%253FLog%253D1&w=610&h=423&ei=OMIrUKGZLZSQ8wTm8oGgCA&zoom=1

Enjoy!

Spirit

Edited: 15 August 2012, 16:41
Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riverside Market and lunch....

GREAT suggestions! Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
59 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riverside Market and lunch....

Of course there is also tons of food at the Art Market (along with a great river view) also.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riverside Market and lunch....

Our favorite place in the area (about 5 minutes from the art market) is called 'Pizza Italian'. It's been there for over 30 years and the food is awesome! Homemade lasagna, garlic bread and salad for less than $7, and it's more than you can eat. The owner has been there forever. The place is tacky, but as soon as you walk in (it's small, too), you smell the most heavenly aroma!

We like 13 Gypsies, but found it to be a little on the pricey side for tapas. The food is definitely good, but you'll probably spend a minimum of about $30 to $40 for lunch. And yes, the risotto is fantastic! Average price of a small plate (not enough for two) is $8, and we ordered 3 plates to have enough food. They also have sandwiches, which may give you a little more for the price.

Enjoy!

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riverside Market and lunch....

Thanks for all the suggestions! 13 Gypsies is exactly what I'm looking for although I was worried about the prices. I want to order enough that we're not hungry when we leave but also don't want to spend alot. I thought about sharing a sandwich as one of our choices. Thought it might fill us up more. The Roman gnocchi looks good as well as the hummus. I know they change their risotto every day so hope it's something i like because it looks good too. It will be hard to decide what to order with so many good choices.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riverside Market and lunch....

13 Gypsies was also featured on an episode of the Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives! You will really enjoy the food. And while you're here, make sure to wear your orange and blue :-)

Vicki

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riverside Market and lunch....

My recommendation for 13 Gypsies (to keep the price down).

Each person get a sandwich...I recommend the Double Cow or the Grilled Cheese. Then, split the risotto. That, or get 2 tapas and 1 risotto. The risotto is HUGE and VERY filling. Either scenario I just listed will give you a meal for 2 under $25.00.

My fiance and I usually split the risotto, get the honey garlic hummus, and a slice of tres leches for dessert. Guarantee you'll spend just as much on that then a "regular" meal somewhere else.

10. Re: Riverside Market and lunch....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Jacksonville