We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in March

TO
Level Contributor
894 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in March

Hello,

I will be driving from JAX to Siesta Key during March Break (March 9-16) next year. I have often driven through the state during the July 4th weekend, and I am wondering how the traffic will compare. Is it about the same in terms of how congested/busy the roads are, or will it be better/worse?

Also, any suggestions about how to avoid major highways are most welcome. I have done the Starke/Citra route, but am curious if there is a direct way south without having to get on to I-75....

Thanks very much in advance.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in March

Traffic is heaviest on major holidays. Schools have their Easter / Spring Break at varying times so this doesn't contribute noticeably to traffic.

There are always smaller roads that you can take rather than major highways, but they are slower with lower speed limits, speed traps, traffic lights, vehicular congestion, etc.

I-75 is the most "direct route".

It's a long drive down there and I prefer to get there by way of the fastest and safest route.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in March

If Mar 9 is a week day and you avoid Orlando during rush hour then the I-95 to I-4 to I-75 would be the fastest.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in March

The toll bypasses (east and west) around Orlando are worthwhile.

TO
Level Contributor
894 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in March

Thanks very much for your responses. I guess I just imagine hordes of snowbirds driving down from Ontario (Canada) at that time.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in March

In the long-ago past, I think everyone in Michigan had the same week or two off, probably thanks to the auto industry. At those times, Interstate 75 through Georgia and northern Florida could be running at or beyond capacity.

6. Re: Driving in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Jacksonville