We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry link on A1A?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry link on A1A?

Driving from Daytona Beach to Jekyll Island, Georgia and wanting to take A1A as much as possible since not in a rush. I notice there seems to be a short ferry link on Jacksonville coast to do that. Wondering what that involves in terms of length, lineups etc Looking to link up with 17 and avoid 95 etc if I can. Suggestions welcomed keeping in mind more interested in non-thruway route.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

The St. Johns River Ferry is a car and passenger ferry that connects the north and south ends of A1A in Duval County, linking Mayport Village and Fort George Island via a pleasant sail across the St. Johns River.

The 0.9 mile voyage crosses the St. Johns River 2.5 miles inland of the river's mouth and departs every half hour.

Here's a schedule: www.stjohnsriverferry.com/schedule.html

Enjoy

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

Many thanks for the link which answers all my questions. It does sound enjoyable.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

No problem; please let us know if you have any other questions regarding your A1A trip :)

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

Just one more related to trolley tour of St. Augustine's. I can go on their site to get a lot of details and wondering if you know of somewhere near A1A that I can pick up and park easily.

Also since it will be a return trip to Daytona after week in GA wondering if you know of any spots along the way worth brief visit - more interested in natural scenery than shopping etc

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

Going on A1A North, take a left at the sign for "St. Augustine"--impossible to miss, and you'll find tons of parking downtown. Also, I'm not positive (double check w/ the trolley company), but I'm pretty sure the tour company has a free lot for people taking the tour.

Fun stops along the way...I can think of 2. 1) Captain Stan's Smokehouse in Woodbine. Great BBQ, outdoor eating, fun atmosphere. 2) Sea Turtle Hospital on Jekyll Island.

I'll think of more!

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

Thanks-will also explore St Simon's and Savannah while staying at Jekyll Island.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

It's completely doable (I've done it multiple times), but don't forget: Savannah is 1.5 hours away from Jekyll. Some people shy away from 3 hours of driving--to/from--just to spend a day there. I recommend trying to spend at least 1 night. Beautiful drive though.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

On the way back, check out:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60805-d56…

This is pretty nice too.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34534-d17…

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

The Big Talbot Park is not bad either: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60805-d56…

Edited: 08 April 2013, 19:01
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

Great outdoor recommendations!

Get answers to your questions about Jacksonville